Substrate Remoistening

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
KinoAndTeto

Substrate Remoistening

Post by KinoAndTeto » Fri May 10, 2019 8:04 pm

What is the least stressful way to remoisten substrate in a crabitat, and how often should I expect to need to do this?

I have two crabs in a 10 gallon tank with about 6" of 100% coconut coir. I believe I used too little water with my substrate when initially putting their crabitat together and would like to add some additional moisture to it to try to boost the humidity levels in the tank. It held together when squeezed, but just barely. Is there an acceptable way to do this that doesn't involve taking the crabs out? They're still very new to me and I don't want to stress them unnecessarily. Can I just pour water lightly (not enough to flood the tank) over the open areas of substrate and have it spread out naturally/with crabby help? I'm hand spraying the tank frequently (multiple times today to keep the humidity up, which is too often), but I don't think any of that at all gets absorbed into the substrate.

:crabblush:
🦀 🦀 Caretaker for two Purple Pinchers , Kino and Teto, adopted May 9, 2019. 🦀 🦀

Hermiesguardian

Re: Substrate Remoistening

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat May 11, 2019 11:09 am

KinoAndTeto wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:04 pm
What is the least stressful way to remoisten substrate in a crabitat, and how often should I expect to need to do this?

I have two crabs in a 10 gallon tank with about 6" of 100% coconut coir. I believe I used too little water with my substrate when initially putting their crabitat together and would like to add some additional moisture to it to try to boost the humidity levels in the tank. It held together when squeezed, but just barely. Is there an acceptable way to do this that doesn't involve taking the crabs out? They're still very new to me and I don't want to stress them unnecessarily. Can I just pour water lightly (not enough to flood the tank) over the open areas of substrate and have it spread out naturally/with crabby help? I'm hand spraying the tank frequently (multiple times today to keep the humidity up, which is too often), but I don't think any of that at all gets absorbed into the substrate.

:crabblush:
100% ee doesn't hold its shape as well as ee mixed with playsand. That may be your problem. Since you have a 10 gal you can't really do much deeper than 6". So maybe take out a couple of inches of the ee and add moistened playsand (from any hardware store). The crabs will mix it as they dig.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun May 12, 2019 9:14 pm

Eco Earth is always tough to get moist when it is dry water always seems to bead off and pool at first then slowly soaks up.

What is your current temperature and humidity in the tank?
What type of lid are you using?
Does your heater go below the substrate?

These can all affect the condition of the substrate. If you have an enclosed lid, glass or wrapped in plastic, 74-84 degrees and low humidity 75% or below. I would measure out 1/4 of a cup of dechlorinated fresh water and pour that along the glass at one corner of the tank. Then let that sit for a day or two for the EE to soak it up. Then in a few days repeat in a different corner. Eventually the EE will become moist. If all your crabs are above ground you can add the water anywhere.

Keep track of your humidity, it should slowly climb as you add the water too. The main thing you need to watch is not to add water too quickly. If a crab is down molting at the very bottom you can flood the tank and drown him. Just a little bit every other day or two in different spots. It may take a week or longer but will safer than just dumping water in the tank.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
KinoAndTeto

Post by KinoAndTeto » Mon May 13, 2019 9:50 am

I'm currently using a florescent hood lamp as heat until I can order a UTH this weekend. My tank is average about 75°. I have a mesh tank lid, but the part that isn't covered by the hood lamp is covered by plastic wrap. I recently added a plastic mesh tunnel with damp sphagnum moss that has bumped up the overall humidity in the tank a lot (over 80) but I'm still concerned about the substrate being too dry if they dig. I will try adding a quarter cup of water to different spots and waiting a few days and make sure that it absorbs all the way and doesn't flood before adding more.
🦀 🦀 Caretaker for two Purple Pinchers , Kino and Teto, adopted May 9, 2019. 🦀 🦀