substrate water

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
newbiecrab

substrate water

Post by newbiecrab » Thu May 16, 2019 4:11 pm

Hello,

When we improved our substrate (going from one inch dry coconut to six inch combo of moist sand and coconut 5/1 parts), we put in regular tap water to moisten the substrate. This was done yesterday. Should we redo the substrate, or it's too late and not worth it? I am thinking the chloramine interacted with the organic elements of the substrate when mixing it, possibly reducing its impact. The crabs have been in there for a day. We always put in dechlorinated water in the bowls and mist. This is all new to us.

Looking forward to your responses!

Xenocrab

Re: substrate water

Post by Xenocrab » Thu May 16, 2019 4:44 pm

The norm is 1 part eco earth to 5 parts sand. Add DC water (salt or fresh) til it's sand castle consistantsy. It should be deep enough for your largest crabs to completely submerge. We have 7" in the 30 gallon for small/medium crabs and 12" in the 55 for our large/jumbo crabs.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
newbiecrab

Post by newbiecrab » Thu May 16, 2019 4:49 pm

Thanks. That's exactly what we did. The only thing is that we did not DC the water to moisten the substrate. Should we restart or is it too late?
DC water has been used to keep humidity up and in the bowls though.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Thu May 16, 2019 4:52 pm

I don't know how many crabbies you have or if any are down molting. I'd say use DC water for everything. Chlorine is very bad for them.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Thu May 16, 2019 4:56 pm

Ok, I read your past posts. I should have done that before. Personally, I'd say to remove the substrate if the water used in it was not DC. Do you have an UTH on the back of the tank? Make sure it's above the substrate. Do you have DC salt water for them?

Topic author
newbiecrab

Post by newbiecrab » Thu May 16, 2019 8:05 pm

Yes, I have DC water for everything (fresh and salt water, mist), just not in the substrate. Alright, I'll change the substrate.

Thanks!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu May 16, 2019 9:45 pm

I know if you let tap water sit in an open container for 24 hours the chlorine will evaporate out naturally. I am not sure if it will evaporate from the water but be asorbed by the EE and sand. Perhaps someone with a little more knowledge can assist.

I don't want you to change the substrate out if you don't have to. I also don't want to tell you it's safe and it isn't.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
newbiecrab

Post by newbiecrab » Fri May 17, 2019 8:15 am

Yes, it's a fair bit of trouble. Seems like municipalities (including mine) use chloramine and not chlorine, which takes forever to evaporate https://aquanswers.com/how-long-does-it ... -entirely/

I initially thought chloramine would be neutralized with contact with the organic matter of sand and EE, but it seems to produce ammonia and nitrates, which is not a good thing https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/es970589a

To be safe, I think I will go through changing it all....