Thermometer issues???

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.
Post Reply

Topic author
Hermit199013
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 12:23 pm
Location: Kentucky

Thermometer issues???

Post by Hermit199013 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:44 pm

I need some help...lol
I bought 2 different thermometer at petsmart..1 when I brought my new friends home and another last week. Was hoping for a second opinion but huge fail :lol:

I forget the other brand but one of them is zoo med.
About $12 each..

The readings I'm getting are way off.
For the temp they are both the same. And I believe they are correct...it's the humidity I don't think is right.
Right now 1 reads 75% and the other reads 95% :|

Does anyone have a recommendation of a good but not crazy expensive thermometer?? And where I could get this? It's driving me crazy lol

User avatar

Xenocrab
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Thermometer issues???

Post by Xenocrab » Tue May 21, 2019 4:48 pm

Lowe's has Acurites. We use them and they work without fail for us. We make a "cage" for them out of craft mesh and hang them. Not the best pics, but you get a general idea. They cost about $14-$15.ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk


5 store bought, 6 rescues and 7 adopted.


Topic author
Hermit199013
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 12:23 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Thermometer issues???

Post by Hermit199013 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:33 am

Xenocrab wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:48 pm
Lowe's has Acurites. We use them and they work without fail for us. We make a "cage" for them out of craft mesh and hang them. Not the best pics, but you get a general idea. They cost about $14-$15.ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Thank you very much! And I like this cage idea too

User avatar

Motörcrab
Posts: 1144
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:56 pm
Location: Coal Region in Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Thermometer issues???

Post by Motörcrab » Wed May 22, 2019 8:12 pm

The Acurites are the way to go. Our Lowes has them near all the outdoor stuff before you head out into the gardening area. We never had any luck with the little ZooMeds gauges with the two probes.

I have a thermostat hooked up to my heater to control the UTH from overheating the tank. By placing the thermostat probe and gauge in different areas you can easily get a big variance of temperatures. 5-10 degrees from right next to the UTH to the front of the tank. Even from the substrate to the top of the tank will vary. I like to keep one gauge in one spot then move another gauge around to several places to get a good idea of the the "average" temperature in the tank. You may get readings like 87, 83, 78, 84 in different locations. It would be safe to assume you tank is averaging around 82.
Help Improve Our Resources Section (weblinks)
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 2&t=119315

Once we get more links the directors will update the resources in a few weeks. Thanks!


Topic author
Hermit199013
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 12:23 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Thermometer issues???

Post by Hermit199013 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:28 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:12 pm
The Acurites are the way to go. Our Lowes has them near all the outdoor stuff before you head out into the gardening area. We never had any luck with the little ZooMeds gauges with the two probes.

I have a thermostat hooked up to my heater to control the UTH from overheating the tank. By placing the thermostat probe and gauge in different areas you can easily get a big variance of temperatures. 5-10 degrees from right next to the UTH to the front of the tank. Even from the substrate to the top of the tank will vary. I like to keep one gauge in one spot then move another gauge around to several places to get a good idea of the the "average" temperature in the tank. You may get readings like 87, 83, 78, 84 in different locations. It would be safe to assume you tank is averaging around 82.
Thanks alot, I had no idea this would vary so much with different locations of tank. Learn something new every day here!

Gonna try to get to a Lowe's soon and pick one up. Also have to get some insulation for my uth

User avatar

Oliviet#1
Posts: 637
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:07 pm
Location: USA

Re: Thermometer issues???

Post by Oliviet#1 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:32 pm

You can also calibrate your hydrometers.

I also got the accurite brand and when I calibrated them one was 7% off and the other 2, 3, or 5% off (too dry). It depends on the opinion of the buyer. 😊
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

User avatar

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 9011
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Thermometer issues???

Post by wodesorel » Wed May 29, 2019 2:24 pm

Oliviet#1 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:32 pm
You can also calibrate your hydrometers.

I also got the accurite brand and when I calibrated them one was 7% off and the other 2, 3, or 5% off (too dry). It depends on the opinion of the buyer. 😊

THIS! ^
Any hydrometer needs to be calibrated, even the Accurites. They can be damaged or knocked around during shipping which leads to improper readings. The ones you have now can usually be reset with a small screw driver if they are reading off.


Topic author
Hermit199013
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 12:23 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Thermometer issues???

Post by Hermit199013 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:17 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:24 pm
THIS! ^
Any hydrometer needs to be calibrated, even the Accurites. They can be damaged or knocked around during shipping which leads to improper readings. The ones you have now can usually be reset with a small screw driver if they are reading off.
I completely forgot about this thread, but you say there are certain accurite that can be reset? I plan to buy one this weekend FINALLY LOL. is there a specific model prefered?

User avatar

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 9011
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Thermometer issues???

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:16 am

Hermit199013 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:17 pm
I completely forgot about this thread, but you say there are certain accurite that can be reset? I plan to buy one this weekend FINALLY LOL. is there a specific model prefered?

No, the digital readouts usually cannot be adjusted. You just have to remember and make mental adjustments for however much they are off. The ones you bought at Petsmart should be adjustable!


Topic author
Hermit199013
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 12:23 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Thermometer issues???

Post by Hermit199013 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:13 am

Ah ok, thank you for reply. I will go tomorrow and get a digital I've only heard the best from these. But my petsmart analog I guess they're called with the needle? They are so far off its unreal. I will calibrate the new digital I get as well.

User avatar

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 9011
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Thermometer issues???

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:36 am

That's because there are little springs inside that expand and contract, which moves the needle. If they ever got dropped or shaken (like during shipping) they need to be reset by calibrating the unit. It doesn't mean they are bad or broken, just that they are reading off at the moment. The digital ones can also be severely off right out of the package, but there is no way to reset them. Every hygrometer should be calibrated to make sure it is correct, and it should be checked every few months to make sure it keeps working right and they can spontaneously fail, and the digitals stay good for about two years. All you need is a plastic container and a bottle cap full of table salt. Mix a few drops of water to make the salt sticky, like sandcastle substrate, put it and the hydrometer into the container (a baggie puffed with air works, too) and let it sit for 6 hours. It should read 75%.

Post Reply