Need Help Remodeling Crabitat

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
bcwh123

Post by bcwh123 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:27 pm

My tank is currently a 10 gallon aquarium with a mesh lid. On top of this mesh lid, i keep my heat lamp, which is my sole source of heat and light for the tank. I have saran wrap wraped around the edges of the mesh lid to try and contain humidity, but it's not enough. The lamp just sucks the humidity right out. I need help deciding on what i should do. I'm planning on replacing the lamp with a under-tank heater (but placed on the back of the tank rather than the bottom), but I'm not sure what i would do for the lid/lighting. Should i get a hood light? What kind of bulb? Don't the hermit crabs need air flow? I'm having a lot of trouble trying to figure this situation out, someone please help. It'd be greatly appreciated.

Hermiesguardian

Re: Need Help Remodeling Crabitat

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:30 pm

bcwh123 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:27 pm
My tank is currently a 10 gallon aquarium with a mesh lid. On top of this mesh lid, i keep my heat lamp, which is my sole source of heat and light for the tank. I have saran wrap wraped around the edges of the mesh lid to try and contain humidity, but it's not enough. The lamp just sucks the humidity right out. I need help deciding on what i should do. I'm planning on replacing the lamp with a under-tank heater (but placed on the back of the tank rather than the bottom), but I'm not sure what i would do for the lid/lighting. Should i get a hood light? What kind of bulb? Don't the hermit crabs need air flow? I'm having a lot of trouble trying to figure this situation out, someone please help. It'd be greatly appreciated.
As long as the room has a window they don't need a bulb. You can seal the entire lid. They get air when you feed them. Make sure the size of the uth covers the entire back of the tank from the top of the substrate (which should be at least 6") to to top of tank.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:40 pm

If you don't have a window near them, a hood light will be fine :) You can use a glass lid with a hood light :) I personally like glass lids because they keep the humidity in. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
bcwh123

Post by bcwh123 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:04 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:40 pm
If you don't have a window near them, a hood light will be fine :) You can use a glass lid with a hood light :) I personally like glass lids because they keep the humidity in. :)
Can you link me to a decent but inexpensive hood light for them? I know heating mat i'm going to get, but these are the dimensions of my 10 gallon tank. 20.2 x 10.5 x 13 inches

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:01 pm

Sorry, no help with the hood light, but wanted to say that my first tank was a 10 gallon. My crabs are in a room with a window so I didn't need additional light. I used the UTH on the back and saran wrap on the lid. It was like that for a few years without any problems.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:24 pm

I’m not sure the exact measurements of a 10 gal, and different brands may fit better, 2 of my tanks I prefer the marineland perfecto brand glass canopy. My 20g I just set up that brand is a little too small, it fits but not snug. Here is a link to one I found quick. If you need extra help, I’d be happy to help you.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OTR1CG/

And a light something like this maybe

. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XFTGSW9/

And I don’t know why my post looks so funny.

Topic author
bcwh123

Post by bcwh123 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:32 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:24 pm
I’m not sure the exact measurements of a 10 gal, and different brands may fit better, 2 of my tanks I prefer the marineland perfecto brand glass canopy. My 20g I just set up that brand is a little too small, it fits but not snug. Here is a link to one I found quick. If you need extra help, I’d be happy to help you.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OTR1CG/

And a light something like this maybe

. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XFTGSW9/

And I don’t know why my post looks so funny.
The 2nd link didn't bring anything up

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:58 pm

Sorry about that. Here’s one that actually looks better and is cheaper, I don’t have this myself just a quick amazon search.
Aquaneat Aquarium Light 0.5W 12" Marin ... 9CbDXZNTW5