Leaving for a Week and a Half

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Leaving for a Week and a Half

Post by AwesomeHermit » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:08 pm

I have to leave for a week and a half with no one able to look over my crabs. I have once done this before. I would appreciate quick responses because it will be happening relatively soon.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Leaving for a Week and a Half

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:58 pm

They will be fine if you leave them with plenty of dry goods to munch on. For example: Leaves, snake skin, dehydrated bugs, Eggshells, oyster shell, Seeds (quinoa, birdseed, chia, millet, sesame), dehydrated fruits. Make sure their water is fresh before you go. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:03 am

I have left my crabs a couple times with no sitter looking after them as well, and before leaving I made them a mixture of foods like the ones that GotButterflies has recommended. I filled their pools up with new water and they were just fine when I got back.

The only thing I really notice that they do when I am not there to check up on them is destroy the tank, they always pull down hooks and knock plants off the glass too.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:18 am

The biggest problem I've seen over the years with people going on vacation is lack of water. They can go without food, but they need a constant water source.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:57 pm

Thanks for the responses. Would the ammonia levels be an issue since the water will become old?
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:51 pm

Not in that short of time, I wouldn't think.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:59 pm

So I will be removing some of the climbing items so I can see the crabs better with my Wyze Cams. I will have 2 food bowls and 3 water pools, 2 with freshwater. I will have extra bowls and pools just in case the crabs dig and they get substrate in the bowls or pools, contaminating it. Any suggestions? I will also have bubblers for air circulation as well as minimal amnesia counts.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:00 am

I will also add a moss pit for humidity during the time I am away.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:47 pm

Please, any suggestions? I am leaving in 3 hours
Crabbing for 4 years!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:58 pm

Everything looks good.

Are you sure that your bubblers won’t dry up? If the pools evaporate and they’re blowing in dry air, your humidity may fall a little (depends on your home climate. I don’t know how dry your local air is).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:26 pm

I don't think the water bowls would evaporate fully, because I left once before for 10 days and this did not happen. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Crabbing for 4 years!