Amethyst for Decoration?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
The HermitIX

Amethyst for Decoration?

Post by The HermitIX » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:37 am

I have a pretty large collection of rocks and minerals and I was wondering if amethyst would be safe to put in my crabitat? It doesn't dissolve in water or humidity so I don't see why it would be different from putting regular rocks in as long as it gets properly sanitized. I haven't been able to find anything online about this so I thought it would be best to see what other crabbers think first.

soilentgringa

Re: Amethyst for Decoration?

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:07 am

I wouldn’t put any of my collection in with my crabs, because of the erosion from the sand, and any other damage that can be done to them.

Depending on the stone, they can become brittle, crack, or fall apart. I wouldn’t want the crabs picking at or breaking crystal pieces off of my specimens, either, but then again I’m picky about my rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
The HermitIX

Post by The HermitIX » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:47 pm

My real concern is the crabs not the rocks. I have quite a few nice, large, natural, and untreated amethysts. I wouldn't mid a couple getting slightly worn down. I know amethyst and quartz are very sturdy stones so I don't think the crabs would be able to break anything off. They're also not water soluble so they won't become brittle or dissolve in humidity. I might try keeping one in my tank for a few days and see how it goes

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:04 pm

If they are solid crystals it should be fine. If they are on any kind of matrix base, that would be a worry as many of those rocks will leech minerals.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:09 am

Many keep amethyst in aquariums without issue, so it's pretty safe to say its 'small animal' friendly. I'm also pretty sure people in the past have use these rocks to decorate their crabitats as well.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:27 am

If ur gonna put the amythest in share a picture!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:26 am

Ooooh I love this idea. As far as my knowledge of gemstones goes, amethyst is a pretty stable structure and therefore inert. (I worked in jewelry for years.) As long as you don’t mind the stones getting worn etc, I think that’s fantastic, and would love to see it!

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~MaggieMoo~Billy~
Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~Tim~Gene My PP clan

Topic author
The HermitIX

Post by The HermitIX » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:23 am

Overmountain1 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:26 am
Ooooh I love this idea. As far as my knowledge of gemstones goes, amethyst is a pretty stable structure and therefore inert. (I worked in jewelry for years.) As long as you don’t mind the stones getting worn etc, I think that’s fantastic, and would love to see it!

ImageDave the Wondercrab~Pat~MaggieMoo~Billy~
Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~Tim~GeneImage My PP clan
Even if its a matrix not just one crystal? I was reading on a reptile forum there can sometimes be harmful things on the rocks the crystals form on (like copper or sulfur) do you know if there would be any way to make sure there are not any heavy metals on it? Some people said as long as you can't see any green/white/yellow streaks on the rock it's safe but it's not something I want to risk. If you have any thoughts they would be very much appreciated!