Defective heat mat?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
bridgettbiologist

Defective heat mat?

Post by bridgettbiologist » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:06 pm

Hi everyone! I just bought a flukers 11x11 UTH for my 10 gallon tank. I left it plugged in on a table overnight and in the morning it was barely putting off any heat. Did I get a defective one or do I need a different brand? I'm not sure how this is supposed to keep my tank at 80 degrees in the winter. I really appreciate the help!

Xenocrab

Re: Defective heat mat?

Post by Xenocrab » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Put it on the back side of your tank. Insulate it. Make sure the lid fits tightly or if you don't have a glass lid, wrap it well with plastic wrap. The tank should hold the heat. If by the next day, your tank isn't reading warm on the inside, it may be faulty. We haven't had problems with our UTH, but defects happen. We have found it difficult to maintain proper heat and humidity in a 10 gallon, but others have done it. Give that a try and see what happens. Do you have an accurite thermometer for the tank? Digital ones work best for us and they are more accurate.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.