Humidity and dried sub

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Humidity and dried sub

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:51 am

Hey y'all! I've been noticing lately that the top half inch of my sub is dry. if I do the pencil test, it holds except a little at the top falls in. I'm reading high 70s to low 80s in humidity and the temp stays between 79 and 83F. I have zero condensation on the glass, which I used to have a lot in my 55 and 20 gals. I added a small plastic dish with moss but it doesnt seem to be helping. I'm pouring small amounts of water (like literally I'm taking a large shell and using it to pour water) around the front of the tank, which is the most dry. Which is weird. I have an E down molting so I cant stir it up

Any suggestions? Yall think it's okay?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Humidity and dried sub

Post by curlysister » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:44 am

I often add a bit of water along the edges, especially if I have my UTH on. My sub does seem to dry out along the top edges where the UTH's are.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:08 pm

As tanks age, all that extra moisture that was there at the start from having freshly mixed substrate, and that caused condensation, has evaporated out of the tank. In order to keep the levels high and the substrate moist enough, more moisture has to be added back in at that point. Pouring, heavy spraying and using a mister/fogger/humidifier are all options! The key is to monitor how much water you are adding back in to make sure it's not enough to pool at the bottom and cause flooding.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:28 am

Thanks y'all!
Do you think bigger air stones would help? right now I have the small ones that are like 2 for $1 at Walmart.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot