Question about substrate

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
KristenL0522

Question about substrate

Post by KristenL0522 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:46 pm

Hello all! Hope you’re doing well!!
I just bought a 29 gallon tank for my 2 hermies. I really want to make it right this time and leave them alone as they are probably mad bc I keep changing it around lol. My question is the sand to EE ratio... right now I have mostly EE with some calcium sand in it. They seem to like it. It’s not quite deep enough which is why I wanted to redo it but in turn also looked for a bigger tank for them. Is the ratio of 5:1 flexible? Or really highly recommended that it is that. I know everyone says it’s not always just right but very close. I just want to make sure that I get it right as to leave them alone from now on (mostly lol) Thanks in advance!!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Question about substrate

Post by curlysister » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:53 pm

The ratio is flexible - many people don't use the 5 to 1. But it really is a good mix to hold the moisture to help with humidity, as well as the right consistency for tunnels that don't collapse.
One thing that is very important is to NOT use the calcium sand - it turns to cement when wet and can kill your crabs. It MUST be play sand, NOT calcium sand.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:06 pm

Yes, definitely not calcium sand!!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
KristenL0522

Post by KristenL0522 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:30 pm

Yes! I got some all purpose sand from Lowe’s today. Thank you!!