Seeking recommendations: thermostat/heat regulator

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
gunstreet.girl

Seeking recommendations: thermostat/heat regulator

Post by gunstreet.girl » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:11 pm

Hi folks!

Does anyone have a thermostat/regulator they absolutely love and would like to recommend?

My house is old and lovely and drafty and an all-around pain in the *** to keep consistently heated, and after 3 winters here and a lifetime more to look forward to, i’m done with the thrice daily peeling back of corners of insulation from the UTHs then taping back down, rinse, repeat..

Ideally i’d like one with an alarm/warning for low/high temps, but it’s not a deal breaker.

Thanks!!

PinchersAndShells

Re: Seeking recommendations: thermostat/heat regulator

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:14 pm

I really enjoy this one on Amazon! It’s pretty cheap for a digital thermostat which is great! I have an insulated Ultratherm UTH hooked up to the thermostat and have it set to 84 degrees. It turns the heat mat off when it hits 84 degrees F and turns on when it drops to 82 degrees F. Without it my tank would get up to 90 degrees even in Winter!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:27 pm

Thanks for the recommendation, Pinchers and Shells! (I just took a look and was amazed to see it’s 3x the price on Canadian Amazon.. wowzers, you all are lucky 🙂)

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:38 pm

Darn! I checked out some of the online Canadian reptile suppliers and these are the links to their thermostats:
https://allreptiles.ca/supplies.html (click filter and thermostats)
https://shop.cornelsworld.com/product-c ... erby=price
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:44 pm

PinchersAndShells wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:38 pm
Darn! I checked out some of the online Canadian reptile suppliers and these are the links to their thermostats:
https://allreptiles.ca/supplies.html (click filter and thermostats)
https://shop.cornelsworld.com/product-c ... erby=price
Thank you, you’re kind to have gone to the trouble to search these out. I keep reptiles and have a few go-to shops that carry thermostats, was hoping for user recommendations (as you helpfully provided above). Thanks again!

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:51 am

I'm in Canada too! I understand your pain of finding suppliers. Wait until you start looking for steps...

I use Inkbird itc-308,at $50. That one has the greatest range for temperature, and you can set what you want your heating temp to be at.

If you look on their website too, they have a variety of controllers, and you can buy it on Amazon. Don't buy the wifi humidity monitor. It's not reliable.

For the temp controller, I've compared it with other brands for reptiles and greenhouses too, and this is the least expensive with most features. If there are others, let me know! Starting another tank already.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Topic author
gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:38 am

Scarletfire wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:51 am
I'm in Canada too! I understand your pain of finding suppliers. Wait until you start looking for steps...

I use Inkbird itc-308,at $50. That one has the greatest range for temperature, and you can set what you want your heating temp to be at.

If you look on their website too, they have a variety of controllers, and you can buy it on Amazon. Don't buy the wifi humidity monitor. It's not reliable.

For the temp controller, I've compared it with other brands for reptiles and greenhouses too, and this is the least expensive with most features. If there are others, let me know! Starting another tank already.
Thanks for the recommendation, fellow Canuck! I like the dual output option - I have 2 UTHs for my 2-level tank, and while I assume it will be sufficient to only have one regulated (one is fully unplugged in summer as it is), having the option of regulating both could be helpful in the winter when both are running. I’m not in need of a humidity regulator as I don’t use an automated mister, and have a reliable dual thermometer/hygrometer, but I appreciate your thoughts on that item anyway.

May I ask how long you’ve been using this thermometer, and if you’ve noted any issues or quirks in the time you’ve had it?

I’ve actually not had too terrible of a time finding suppliers for the majority of my requirements, as I have a fantastic local pet supply shop that will special order anything they can get but don’t regularly carry, and I have access to a really excellent online reptile/rhac shop (Northern Gecko) from which I order supplies for my gecko which carries a pretty good range of supplies useful for hermit crabs.

Curious as to the “steps” you’ve referred to having difficulty sourcing?

Thanks again!