New Tank Prep

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
KrankyKrab

New Tank Prep

Post by KrankyKrab » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:16 am

So I landed a new tank - 65 gallon - woot woot! When you guys clean your new used tanks what do you do?

From my research Im thinking: a nice antibacterial soap scrub for any previous critters, an apple cider vinegar wipe down followed by Primed water final wipe.

What are your suggestions?
Thanks!

CrabbyLover77

Re: New Tank Prep

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:51 am

I've used a bleach/water mixture before, but my go to for a lot of stuff is a vinegar and water mix. I frequently use vinegar to disinfect my bird feeders and bird baths. I let the mix sit on my feeders or baths for 30 mins or so and then scrub and rinse. I'm sure a diluted bleach mix would work too, you would just have to rinse the tank out really well and make sure all of the fumes have dissipated.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:56 am

PS- From what I've read in some of my wildlife rehab books, don't mix together vinegar and soap or bleach and soap. They cancel each other out and then become ineffective. You could still use one right after the other with rinsing in between, just not mixed in the same bottle together.

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
KrankyKrab

Post by KrankyKrab » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:54 pm

I was nervous about the bleach mix but I definitely feel better with that method .... great! Thanks for your input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:25 pm

You're welcome!
Sometimes I use a bleach/H2O mix to clean any stubborn algae off of aquarium ornaments too. Then I leave them outside to dry for 24 hours so any fumes/chemicals evaporate. I'm a little paranoid about putting the ornaments back in the aquarium after bleaching them, so I'll sniff them all over to make sure they don't smell like bleach anymore LOL.
If you have your tank outside, even better. You can let it dry out for a day in the open air after you clean it...and maybe give it the sniff test lol.

Topic author
KrankyKrab

Post by KrankyKrab » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:35 pm

Good to know.... there is stubborn algae in the corners that bleach just isn’t kicking...

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:39 pm

KrankyKrab wrote:Good to know.... there is stubborn algae in the corners that bleach just isn’t kicking...

Algae can be such a pain. Once I got my snails for my aquarium, I hardly have any algae now. I call them my little cleanup crew lol. Good luck with getting that tank clean! Image

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:52 am

I have used the vinegar method for the two upgrades I did. Rinsed with RO water (that's what I use in place of dechlorinated), let it air dry. The 20 gallon was pretty gross, I let the vinegar sit for a while before scrubbing, but it worked well!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers