Maybe a dumb question

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Nitegoddess
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:51 pm
Location: Cleveland
Contact:

Re: Maybe a dumb question

Post by Nitegoddess » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:42 pm

So is that just craft mesh you get to put for them to climb in the water bowls? Where is the best place to get that and are all craft meshes the same? I have mine sunken now, but like the doubling up idea and keeping them above ground.


Topic author
Zanthalia
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:36 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Maybe a dumb question

Post by Zanthalia » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:27 pm

Nitegoddess wrote:So is that just craft mesh you get to put for them to climb in the water bowls? Where is the best place to get that and are all craft meshes the same? I have mine sunken now, but like the doubling up idea and keeping them above ground.
What I got was just craft mesh. I found it at Joann Fabrics in the aisle with the cross stitch stuff. I tried to take a picture of the sheets, but my daughter's cat decided to help. (Spoiler: He's not as helpful as he thinks he is.)

The smaller sheets were a whole $.99 and the larger were like $2.75. It's pretty sturdy for my purposes, but our babies are pretty small and don't weigh much. It's super easy to cut through with fabric scissors and I won't feel bad throwing it away later to redecorate. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk



Nitegoddess
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:51 pm
Location: Cleveland
Contact:

Re: Maybe a dumb question

Post by Nitegoddess » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:46 pm

Thank you! I am wanting to make a 2nd level as well and I think that would work for my moss pits too! :)


Topic author
Zanthalia
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:36 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Maybe a dumb question

Post by Zanthalia » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:20 pm

Nitegoddess wrote:Thank you! I am wanting to make a 2nd level as well and I think that would work for my moss pits too! :)
I've been trying to find a nice reptile net for a second level. I can't figure out how to make my own and I'm frustrated over it, so I think it's time to just buy. I'm not sure I understand the concept of a moss pit. There's just so much to learn!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk



Nitegoddess
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:51 pm
Location: Cleveland
Contact:

Re: Maybe a dumb question

Post by Nitegoddess » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:27 pm

Well, for my moss pits I just bought shower caddies on Amazon with suction cups and stuck them on the wall. I need to figure out a better way for them to get up to them though. I had a really nice reptile net that the crabs loved, always on it, but with the humidity it kept molding. So I got a hammock and was using that, but it has metal rings on it and did not realize how bad that is for the crabs with the rusting so that had to go. Now I am looking at lizard ladders that don't have the metal rings just suction cups and the hammocks and hoping those may work. I am running out of ideas!
I am struggling with the humidity so I am hoping the moss pits help.


Topic author
Zanthalia
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:36 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Maybe a dumb question

Post by Zanthalia » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:37 pm

Nitegoddess wrote:Well, for my moss pits I just bought shower caddies on Amazon with suction cups and stuck them on the wall. I need to figure out a better way for them to get up to them though. I had a really nice reptile net that the crabs loved, always on it, but with the humidity it kept molding. So I got a hammock and was using that, but it has metal rings on it and did not realize how bad that is for the crabs with the rusting so that had to go. Now I am looking at lizard ladders that don't have the metal rings just suction cups and the hammocks and hoping those may work. I am running out of ideas!
I am struggling with the humidity so I am hoping the moss pits help.
Yuck, the mold. I found the cutest cholla log that our boy just loved and then yesterday I noticed it was covered in white fuzz. I pulled it out overnight because I didn't have time to clean it and today I have green and black spots. Way too gross. I might just throw it out.

Our humidity stays above 80 at all times. I added a bunch of coconut fibers to the sand and got it to sandcastle before I filled the bottom of the tank. Then the two water bowls, and even with the shop light just outside the tank it ends up with condensation on the inside of the glass by morning. What I read is that humidity can't get high enough to affect their health and mold doesn't hurt them, so I guess we're okay with it. Still, I don't like mold.

I don't know if that helps you any.

Shower caddies seem like a nice easy option. Maybe I can get two and sort of weave some jute between them like a bridge. I'll get creative! Great idea!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk



Nitegoddess
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:51 pm
Location: Cleveland
Contact:

Re: Maybe a dumb question

Post by Nitegoddess » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:58 pm

The mold grosses me out. The issue is when they crawl on the net they refuse to get off and hold on for dear life. Otherwise I would probably just leave it in there and clean as needed, but it is a nightmare trying to get them off to clean it. I do have the sand/cocoa fiber mix, but I use a heat lamp so I think that is the problem. They love the heat from it, but it is hard keeping the humidity up. I covered the top with foil and cut out under the light. I have been misting twice and it seems to be staying in the lower to mid 70's now.


KrankyKrab
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:03 am
Location: Staten Island NY

Maybe a dumb question

Post by KrankyKrab » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:29 pm

I struggled with humidity, too. I added a bubbler to the pools and have it steady 84-90 at all times. $3 bubbler, $3 hose, $5 pump Amazon. Simple and I change the water every Sat instead of every other day. (Of course I won’t list the pretty addons lol.... gravel.... palm tree ect....) The point is its not as big of an ordeal as I thought....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Reply