Play sand

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
AL247

Play sand

Post by AL247 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:18 pm

I currently have all play sand and a corner with jungle bedding laying on top in my 10 gallon tank. Is it ok to use only sand or do I need to have that soil stuff in there as well? One of the crabs has already buried itself deep into the sand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Re: Play sand

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:53 pm

All sand is ok. Some people do all EE. Some a mix, different proportions.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:06 am

The benefit of having EE mixed in with the sand is that it helps hold moisture, and helps with humidity. But some people use all sand with no problems. Once a crab is buried, definitely don't dig him up. If you put the EE on top like you have it, the crabs will eventually mix it in anyways! LOL!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:40 am

Everyone does it differently. I had a successful molt just recently (new crabs in August) in all EE with Aquafina... Was all I had at the time in a temp tank and wasn't going to dig him up.

Just moisten to sandcastle consistency and you can always buy an EE brick and add it in with the playsand. I'm at about 5:1 playsand to EE now, but mixed with dechlor saltwater so hoping the next molts go as well as the first in the new substrate.