Upgrading tank, can I get another crab?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
craboloading

Upgrading tank, can I get another crab?

Post by craboloading » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:41 am

Hi, all!

I got my two crabbos in February of this year. In that time they have grown a LOT! They are both PPs, I'm looking at buying shells with 1 inch - 1 1/2 inch opening sizes for them at this point. They are both currently in 7/8 inch opening shells that are just a little snug.

Up until now they've been living in a 10 gallon aquarium, which I plan on upgrading in the next month or two. I've scored a 29 gallon aquarium at a yard sale this weekend & am starting the acquisition of additional decorative items/a bigger UTH now.

My big question is if I can/should get a 3rd crabbo? When I was younger and had crabs I majorly overcrowded them (think like 20 medium+ sized crabs in a 40 gallon aquarium) and they were constantly fighting/disappearing underground.... I assume they were cannibalizing one another. :/ Anyways, I do miss the dynamics of having more than 2 crabs, but don't want to even push the idea of overcrowding. Do you think I could reasonably fit a 3rd crab in with my 2? After this upgrade I dont plan on upgrading again for at least 2 years.

Thanks! And if anyone has any cool ideas for my tank upgrade, I'm all ears for that too.
3 PPs: Beacon the Two Pound Crab of Light and Purity & Scuttles the Shadow Crab of Darkness and Desparity ~ 2/10/19 and Felicity Crab-19 ~ 5/24/20
1 Orange Cat: Chloe Hannah ~ 4/2015

Hermiesguardian

Re: Upgrading tank, can I get another crab?

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:19 am

I would definately think you can do 3 in a 29. Unless they were jumbo. If the 29 is higher than the 10, I assume it is, put more than 6 inches of substrate.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
craboloading

Re: Upgrading tank, can I get another crab?

Post by craboloading » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:35 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:19 am
I would definately think you can do 3 in a 29. Unless they were jumbo. If the 29 is higher than the 10, I assume it is, put more than 6 inches of substrate.
I'm glad to hear that! 3 sounded like a safe number, but I just needed some reassurance on that -- thank you. :)

I'm definitely planning on deep substrate. These crabbos love digging more than climbing!
3 PPs: Beacon the Two Pound Crab of Light and Purity & Scuttles the Shadow Crab of Darkness and Desparity ~ 2/10/19 and Felicity Crab-19 ~ 5/24/20
1 Orange Cat: Chloe Hannah ~ 4/2015