Glass Lid Not Fitting

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
KinoAndTeto

Glass Lid Not Fitting

Post by KinoAndTeto » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:05 pm

I'm putting together a new 29 gallon tank for my two girls. I got an Aqueon brand tank which is 30x12, and bought an Aqueon hinged glass lid advertised to fit their 30x12 29 gallon tanks. It doesn't fit. :/ It's about 3/4" too narrow.

What would be the best way to fix this to keep the humidity in and also keep them from trying to escape or possibly getting their claws stuck? Image

Last edited by KinoAndTeto on Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
🦀 🦀 Caretaker for two Purple Pinchers , Kino and Teto, adopted May 9, 2019. 🦀 🦀

Scarletfire

Re: Glass Lid Not Fitting

Post by Scarletfire » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:07 pm

1. Can you return or exchange it? If no..

2. Take to a glass shop to cut off the excess section. Ensure they also sand the edges so it's not sharp. Shouldn't cost more than $5.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:53 pm

Do you mean too narrow as in it doesn't fit snugly from front to back? If so, I have the same issue. We siliconed corner guards around the inner part of the tank under the lip. They are found in the bathroom section of Lowe's.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

ImageImage
6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
KinoAndTeto

Post by KinoAndTeto » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:58 pm

Yeah, exactly. There is a 3/4" gap front to back. bought the lid online and really don't feel like going through the trouble of returning it and changing on another incorrect fit, anyhow.

Corner guards is a good idea! I will take a look at Home Depot next weekend when we go. I'm sure they'd have plastic ones that would be big enough to close the gap. Thanks!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

🦀 🦀 Caretaker for two Purple Pinchers , Kino and Teto, adopted May 9, 2019. 🦀 🦀

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:00 pm

We drilled holes in them to add climbing things, but we have tiny babies and they can't climb out. I wouldn't recommend holes if you have bigger crabbies because they will be able to push out! We use aquarium silicone and let it dry for 3-5 days to make sure it's dry and there's no fumes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:08 pm

Oops sorry! I read it as it was too big.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:10 pm

The lids are supposed to fit that way for aquariums, for oxygen exchange. For anyone keeping land animals, they go with screen lids for better air flow as lunged creatures in a glass box will end up sick quickly. We're sort of the odd keepers out since we have land animals and want little air flow! Anything we use has to be modified.

Now, if it was too short on the short side, that's a case of mixing manufacturers. Every brand's tank and lid are meant to be a matching set, and each company is a fraction of an inch off from the others.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram