Crab Stuck In Fish Net

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
IMS08

Crab Stuck In Fish Net

Post by IMS08 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:40 am

Hello everyone. Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but here it goes. Tonight I discovered one of my Es deeply entangled in the fish net I have draping off of my shell shop. I used a very small scissors to cut through the net itself, then it took me about 20 minutes to gently cut off individual pieces of net so my crab could move. I don't handle my crabs very much so my E was very tight in her shell making this job a pain. However, I was finally able to remove as much as I could and after about 5 minutes sitting the my tank, she started moving again (fully mobile.) A small amount of the net dropped where she was and I am hoping this was all of it.

I am wondering if anyone has had this happen before? I have had the net for about 5 years in my crabitat without any problems and I never dreamed one of my crabs would get tangled in it (I mean deeply tangled.) It was more clumped at the base of the shell shop which could cause a greater risk than only allowing it to slightly touch the ground but I certainly never imagined it would happen. I threw it away and probably won't use it again just because I was so freaked out about it. Any thoughts? Has anyone else had problems with fish net?

scuttlecrusty22

Re: Crab Stuck In Fish Net

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:57 pm

I don't have a fish net in my crabitat, because I choose to use crafting mesh instead... so I have never had this happen. It sounds like you handled the situation very well and I am glad to hear that your crabbie is alright! :o Maybe just try out some crafting mesh in the tank to replace all of the fishing net :clap:.

:crabbigsmile: :crabblush:
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:12 pm

I am glad to hear that you were able to rescue your crab, mine have trapped themselves in the net before. Many here that use net recommend against double layering it to greatly reduce the chance of entrapment.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:42 am

I'm glad that everything worked out for you. I have always used netting in my tank. I've never had any issues. However, like odelayheehoo mentioned, I never layer it.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com