Which Substrate Is heavier: EE or playsand

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

soilentgringa

Re: Which Substrate Is heavier: EE or playsand

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:54 pm

As someone who has fallen through the floor of a trailer, I'd say get up under where you want to put the tank and shore it up with some plywood and cinderblocks for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:56 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:That's awesome you adopted a couple of crabs on FB! It sounds like you are doing a great job caring for them all and trying to get them into their bigger home. I can't wait until I move so I can set up my 55 gal tank. I've got 4 PP in my 20 gal long now, 1 large, 1 med, and 2 small. They seem to have enough room too, but I know bigger is better. My crazy tortoise's home is 6'x2' so she takes up the majority of my room right now lol.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Yeah. Im pretty sure i have 2 small, 4 medium, and the two I mentioned before. Im working quick to get them in bigger tank. And it turns out Nanny will be stopping by Home depot to get lumber tonight, so I'm coming with to get the appropriate sand!

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

New owner to 8 hermits, two of them belong to my aunt (and some of the others we both own). Hermits from smallest to largest: Dwebble, McShelldon, Crustle, Piggy, Sharkie, Lint. Snappy.

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:00 pm

soilentgringa wrote:As someone who has fallen through the floor of a trailer, I'd say get up under where you want to put the tank and shore it up with some plywood and cinderblocks for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The trailer house isnt that flimsy with the flooring. Its what I've lived in all my life. Its had so much stuff in it from time to time. I was just paranoid thanks to my great uncle.. But since we are using mainly EE it will probably be less weight than the usual 5:1 ratio of sand to EE

New owner to 8 hermits, two of them belong to my aunt (and some of the others we both own). Hermits from smallest to largest: Dwebble, McShelldon, Crustle, Piggy, Sharkie, Lint. Snappy.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:16 pm

IsolatedShadow wrote:Yeah. Im pretty sure i have 2 small, 4 medium, and the two I mentioned before. Im working quick to get them in bigger tank. And it turns out Nanny will be stopping by Home depot to get lumber tonight, so I'm coming with to get the appropriate sand!

That's awesome! ImageImage

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:14 pm

Hopefully my aunt will be getting the Plexiglass for the tank soon! She said she'll call it in tomorrow morning. Lets see how this goes!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:54 pm

IsolatedShadow wrote:Hopefully my aunt will be getting the Plexiglass for the tank soon! She said she'll call it in tomorrow morning. Lets see how this goes!
Yay! Did you get your sand and EE yet? Image

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:59 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:Yay! Did you get your sand and EE yet? Image

Yep! In fact, here is an update on how it looks! The decorating is a bit far from finished. Im planning to move over the net, plant, and everything else from the 29 into here!Image

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:06 pm

That is so awesome! I'm so jealous (and so are my crabbies lol)! I love the multicolor plant. Can't wait to see when you're all done!

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:09 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:06 pm
That is so awesome! I'm so jealous (and so are my crabbies lol)! I love the multicolor plant. Can't wait to see when you're all done! Image

Lol thank you! I'll make sure to make more posts as i get closer to the finish line!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:10 pm

IsolatedShadow wrote: Lol thank you! I'll make sure to make more posts as i get closer to the finish line!
You're welcome!
Sounds good! Image

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:20 am

apparently, the place we were going to get the plexi from is closed on weekends.. Its rather we'll get it from home depot/ lowes, or we'll wait till monday or tuesday..

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:53 am

IsolatedShadow wrote:apparently, the place we were going to get the plexi from is closed on weekends.. Its rather we'll get it from home depot/ lowes, or we'll wait till monday or tuesday..
Sorry to hear that, what a bummer! Image

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:55 am

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:53 am
Sorry to hear that, what a bummer! Image

Yeah. But hopefully we'll be getting it soon either way. I'm so ready to move them over.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:24 pm

IsolatedShadow wrote: Yeah. But hopefully we'll be getting it soon either way. I'm so ready to move them over.
I totally understand. I'd be anxious to get it done too.
When I switched my fish over to my 40 gal breeder tank, I had to order the glass top. No pet store near me had that size. Of course it arrived broken. So I called customer service and they shipped me a second one. It too arrived broken (way to go Fed ex!). So then I took the top and pieces to my local glass shop, and after a week, they were able to make me a perfect replica of the store bought one. I was using a reptile screen lid in the mean time, which drove me crazy. I had to lift the whole thing off just to feed the fish 2x/day. Image

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:31 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:24 pm
I totally understand. I'd be anxious to get it done too.
When I switched my fish over to my 40 gal breeder tank, I had to order the glass top. No pet store near me had that size. Of course it arrived broken. So I called customer service and they shipped me a second one. It too arrived broken (way to go Fed ex!). So then I took the top and pieces to my local glass shop, and after a week, they were able to make me a perfect replica of the store bought one. I was using a reptile screen lid in the mean time, which drove me crazy. I had to lift the whole thing off just to feed the fish 2x/day. Image

Oh my, that would have drove me crazy too! I've honestly been waiting for nearly 2 months to get this 100 gal set up! First i had to move into the bigger room, which meant a whole bunch of cleaning, repainting, etc. Then move in the new tank, get the sub set up, and now we need a top. My room is so dry the substrate dried up in only one day, so I know I can't do this without one. And I don't want to wrap with the clear wrap stuff because it seems to be too much of a hassle.