Getting a reptile humidifier for crabs?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Chocobo

Getting a reptile humidifier for crabs?

Post by Chocobo » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:48 pm

I'm having an extremely hard time finding moss that holds humidity. What if I just got a reptile humidifier for my hermits and Halloween crabs?
my grasshopper is going to be a mom 💕 https://streamable.com/n8zpap

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Getting a reptile humidifier for crabs?

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:20 pm

You can, I have a home humidifier that I've DIYed into a humidifier for my crabs. The water reservoir is bigger and was a lot cheaper too!

Its important to mention that adding addition water vapour can lead to flooding. So would reccomend having something like a false bottom or a DIY well (like a small inch PVC pipe cut in half lengthwise to examine for water in the substrate) so you can gauge the amount of water building up.

Also reccomend having it on a timer or a hydrostat (a device that will turn it off/on with pre set thresholds)

In a lot of cases, a simple testing of your humidity gauge will show that it is being faulty. So I'd reccomend testing it to see if it is working correctly before buying a humidifier. Or if you havent already, try closing up big gaps in the lid, or adding airstones to your pools and see if that helps boost the humidity a bit.

https://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/p ... 26&t=92540

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Chocobo

Post by Chocobo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:10 pm

well I already have a humidity gauge, so i guess I'll know if something goes wrong

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:31 am

No, a humidity gauge is not going to tell you how much water has settled into the substrate. The air in the tank can be relatively dry, while there can still be standing water at the very bottom which will drown molters and grow harmful bacteria. The droplets will always sink to the lowest point and pool.

I am all for humidifiers and I used one for years myself, but it has to be monitored closely and done safely or it will cause more problems then it solves!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:22 am

The best thing to use for your crabs is an accurite thermometer and hygrometer, It is all digital so its very easy to read and the one I have also tells your the highs and lows of the humidity during a 24 hour period. :tongue3:
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Topic author
Chocobo

Post by Chocobo » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:59 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:31 am
No, a humidity gauge is not going to tell you how much water has settled into the substrate. The air in the tank can be relatively dry, while there can still be standing water at the very bottom which will drown molters and grow harmful bacteria. The droplets will always sink to the lowest point and pool.

I am all for humidifiers and I used one for years myself, but it has to be monitored closely and done safely or it will cause more problems then it solves!
I wouldn't have a problem with that. I'm used to checking on my pets often. Does exo terra forest moss work too though? Do they need a specific type?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:43 am

Moss working... as in, a humidity gauge (no) or to increase humidity (yes).

All mosses virtually work the same, due to having a high surface area which increases evaporation. So yes, that moss can be used as long as it hasn't been dyed or sprayed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:13 am

What is the humidity in your tank?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers