New setup / substrate

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
FairyDefender

New setup / substrate

Post by FairyDefender » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:01 pm

Setting up a new crabitat. Would 3 bricks of Eco earth work for 300 lbs of sand? I'm using play sand 50 lb bags so that would be about 1/2 brick per bag. I dont want to put anything else in until I have the sand right & I'm not near a pet store to get anymore EE. I thought a 5:1 ratio was going to be about 5 bags of sand for the 3 bricks but I need to add that last bag of sand to get the depth I want. I don't want to risk not being able to keep sandcastle consistency & humidity stable. It gets really dry here.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Re: New setup / substrate

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:12 pm

It doesn't have to be exactly 5:1 ratio. Some people do 50/50. Or all different ratios. Are you mixing it all with dechlorinated fesh or salt water?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
FairyDefender

Post by FairyDefender » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:19 pm

I mixed with dechlorinated water (prime) & used salt water to moisten sand, it was a little dry. I guess I'm just worried b/c I'm struggling to keep humidity in current setup & I want to eliminate that.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:15 pm

FairyDefender wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:19 pm
I mixed with dechlorinated water (prime) & used salt water to moisten sand, it was a little dry. I guess I'm just worried b/c I'm struggling to keep humidity in current setup & I want to eliminate that.

Do you have bubblers in your pools? That really helps. And is your lid totally sealed?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:25 am

Sand should be moistened to sandcastle consistency. IMO, glass lids help the best when it comes to keeping the humidity in.

Substrate should be at least 6" or three times the height of your largest crab. Whichever is deeper wins. I have found that the 5:1 ratio of sand to EE helps with the moisture. Sometimes I sprinkle moistened EE on the top and let the crabs work it in, and sometimes I do sand. To each's own. It can take up to 24 hours for heat and humidity to be established in a new tank. Be patient. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
FairyDefender

Post by FairyDefender » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:54 pm

Thanks for the responses! I have bubblers but I don't have them turned on yet. I am hoping they will help. I really like the idea of putting moist EE on top & letting the crabbies work it in occasionally.