Condensation

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
KrankyKrab

Condensation

Post by KrankyKrab » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:52 pm

So most of the crababies have been introduced to the new 65g. They LOVE it. But instead of a slight fog like I have gotten in the 20g, now it’s full blown condensation.

Out of curiosity I looked under the false bottom and see accumulation. The drops aren’t touching but not sure if having it is normal.

The difference besides a bigger tank is having two bigger pools. I stopped the bubbles - now only 1 hour a day.

Plus it’s way warmer. The gauges are working (calibrated) and everything is reading in limits.

I definitely want to make sure I’m not over saturating. No spraying .... and wiping down the glass when I can ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Condensation

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:08 pm

It's just due to the lack of airflow underneath. I wouldn't worry too much, and it could easily be fixed by running a airline underneath to push out the vapour and replace it with 'dry' air if it is that much of an issue.

Otherwise, it looks fine to me, and just to monitor closely.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
KrankyKrab

Post by KrankyKrab » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:56 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:It's just due to the lack of airflow underneath. I wouldn't worry too much, and it could easily be fixed by running a airline underneath to push out the vapour and replace it with 'dry' air if it is that much of an issue.

Otherwise, it looks fine to me, and just to monitor closely.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Yes, I was wondering about just air flow. I like the idea of adding a line.

I feel better - I was worried about a bloom. I’ll def monitor. Thanks!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:47 pm

Condensation is based heavily on the difference between the room temp and the tank temp. It's a dew point, and it's where the RH reaches 100%. That's generally the point where you could potentially end up with explosive mold growth, and flooding and/or oversaturated substrate. Being watchful of how much extra moisture is going in is key, and venting some of that moisture out can be helpful.

However, if you have some major extremes between tank temp and room temp, condensation may be unavoidable at a comfortable humidity levels for the crabs.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
KrankyKrab

Post by KrankyKrab » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:42 pm

wodesorel wrote:Condensation is based heavily on the difference between the room temp and the tank temp. It's a dew point, and it's where the RH reaches 100%. That's generally the point where you could potentially end up with explosive mold growth, and flooding and/or oversaturated substrate. Being watchful of how much extra moisture is going in is key, and venting some of that moisture out can be helpful.

However, if you have some major extremes between tank temp and room temp, condensation may be unavoidable at a comfortable humidity levels for the crabs.
Yes def a good point. My basement is very cold. Prob almost a 20 deg difference between room and tank.

As for venting out, that should probably be accomplished with my plan from Aussie. I was going to run a tube in the drain pipe down to the bottom and have the pump run an hour or two a day. Pumping IN fresh air might help evaporate as well as push some of that moisture back in to the tank. I think it wouldn’t recycle as much when considering the daily lid openings and condensation wipe downs.

Do you have a better method?