UTH my hermit crabs are cold!!!

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Hermiehomes4Gretchen

UTH my hermit crabs are cold!!!

Post by Hermiehomes4Gretchen » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:31 pm

Hello! It's not getting warm enough in my 10 gal even though I bought a zoo med UTH. What UTH should I buy.. I think I'm going to upgrade to a 20 gal tank soon. I've heard you can't reuse stick on UTHs. I have a low budget but I want my crabs to be happy... HELP!! Also I have no lighting. I'm getting mixed messages with lighting, the crab street journal says you should supply light, but some people just use natural light.

Nessiandnoah

Re: UTH my hermit crabs are cold!!!

Post by Nessiandnoah » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:56 am

What is your gauge reading? I struggled keeping my crabs warm and humid and finally bought a large UTH that almost covered the entire back of the aquarium. Then I started using Saran Wrap on top and ever since my heat and humidity has been perfect. What are you covering the tank with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermiehomes4Gretchen

Post by Hermiehomes4Gretchen » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:33 am

Nessiandnoah wrote:What is your gauge reading? I struggled keeping my crabs warm and humid and finally bought a large UTH that almost covered the entire back of the aquarium. Then I started using Saran Wrap on top and ever since my heat and humidity has been perfect. What are you covering the tank with?

Saran Wrap... my temp is like 75 F

Nessiandnoah

Post by Nessiandnoah » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:10 am

Where do you keep the UTH? I would keep it at the back of the aquarium and I personally have two. A large one that covers most of the back and one on the side of the tank as well. Also I provide natural lighting. I am honestly unsure what’s best there :-/ maybe someone with more experience may have better advise on lighting, but definitely a large UTH on side of tank or even an extra one.

Topic author
Hermiehomes4Gretchen

Post by Hermiehomes4Gretchen » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:17 pm

Nessiandnoah wrote:Where do you keep the UTH? I would keep it at the back of the aquarium and I personally have two. A large one that covers most of the back and one on the side of the tank as well. Also I provide natural lighting. I am honestly unsure what’s best there :-/ maybe someone with more experience may have better advise on lighting, but definitely a large UTH on side of tank or even an extra one.

Yes I keep it on the back side.. I just ordered another UTH..