UTH my hermit crabs are cold!!!

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.
Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
Hermiehomes4Gretchen
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:33 am

UTH my hermit crabs are cold!!!

Post by Hermiehomes4Gretchen » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:31 pm

Hello! It's not getting warm enough in my 10 gal even though I bought a zoo med UTH. What UTH should I buy.. I think I'm going to upgrade to a 20 gal tank soon. I've heard you can't reuse stick on UTHs. I have a low budget but I want my crabs to be happy... HELP!! Also I have no lighting. I'm getting mixed messages with lighting, the crab street journal says you should supply light, but some people just use natural light.

User avatar

curlysister
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2083
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:54 pm
Location: Manitoba, Canada

Re: UTH my hermit crabs are cold!!!

Post by curlysister » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:20 pm

That is correct that you can not re-use a mat that sticks. You also can not insulate over top of them - but you can insulate around them and on the other walls.
People are of mixed opinions regarding lights. Read through the care sheet, lots of info there. I decided to to add any light, because my crabs are in a room that has natural light from a window (not direct sunlight on the tank).
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers


Scarletfire
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:44 am
Location: ON

Re: UTH my hermit crabs are cold!!!

Post by Scarletfire » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:18 pm

Zoomed heat mats generally are not good in the sense that the rating is that strong enough, you cannot insulate it as Curly mentioned, and you cannot re-use it.

The brand Ultratherm is widely used. If you don't have access to that brand, THG heat tape is a good option. Irregardless of whichever UTH you use, ensure you place it to cover the entire back of the tank. If you do use heat tape, ensure ypu have a temperature regulator to prevent the temperature from rising too high.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk



Kydra
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:35 pm
Location: NJ

Re: UTH my hermit crabs are cold!!!

Post by Kydra » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:22 pm

I only had a Zoomed 10-20 gallon size UTH on my 20 long tank which was fine until it got colder. Went to the store yesterday to purchase another to put on the other side of the back glass and, because I've heard here about no insulation and really that they aren't that good, I bought the 30-40 gallon Zoomed UTH instead of the same smaller size.

I just added it last night and this AM temp was close to 5 degrees higher than usual. Now, with both on it's at 80 on the coolest end of the tank. I may need to unplug one until it gets cooler again in the house. For me, they are easy and convenient. Just stick it on and done. All I can say is that they are likely overpriced of course, but does the job without any hassle.

I do have most of the mesh lid covered with one piece of seran wrap which also helps to keep the heat in the tank.

User avatar

Topic author
Hermiehomes4Gretchen
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:33 am

Re: UTH my hermit crabs are cold!!!

Post by Hermiehomes4Gretchen » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:39 pm

Scarletfire wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:18 pm
Zoomed heat mats generally are not good in the sense that the rating is that strong enough, you cannot insulate it as Curly mentioned, and you cannot re-use it.

The brand Ultratherm is widely used. If you don't have access to that brand, THG heat tape is a good option. Irregardless of whichever UTH you use, ensure you place it to cover the entire back of the tank. If you do use heat tape, ensure ypu have a temperature regulator to prevent the temperature from rising too high.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Can I use this kind of heat pad?
https://www.amazon.com/Windspeed-plug11 ... 37&sr=8-98

User avatar

Topic author
Hermiehomes4Gretchen
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:33 am

Re: UTH my hermit crabs are cold!!!

Post by Hermiehomes4Gretchen » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:05 pm

curlysister wrote:That is correct that you can not re-use a mat that sticks. You also can not insulate over top of them - but you can insulate around them and on the other walls.
People are of mixed opinions regarding lights. Read through the care sheet, lots of info there. I decided to to add any light, because my crabs are in a room that has natural light from a window (not direct sunlight on the tank).
My window provides my hermit crabs with enough light then.. they are not in direct sunlight just in a room with two big windows.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Kydra
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:35 pm
Location: NJ

Re: UTH my hermit crabs are cold!!!

Post by Kydra » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:17 pm

Hermiehomes4Gretchen wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:39 pm
Can I use this kind of heat pad?
https://www.amazon.com/Windspeed-plug11 ... 37&sr=8-98
I've used something similar taped on with electrical tape before... Didn't look at the specs but it was so so. I did not insulate or anything though (if you can). Just more convenient for me to buy another Zoomed and all is well.

I was going to add that I believe Petco is doing the dollar a gallon sale again from the prices yesterday if you are up to getting a 20 for $20. Others will give you different advice on UTHs. I was less concerned with the cost just easy and convenient and already had a Zoomed UTH.

Good luck with everything!

User avatar

Topic author
Hermiehomes4Gretchen
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:33 am

Re: UTH my hermit crabs are cold!!!

Post by Hermiehomes4Gretchen » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:18 pm

Kydra wrote: I've used something similar taped on with electrical tape before... Didn't look at the specs but it was so so. I did not insulate or anything though (if you can). Just more convenient for me to buy another Zoomed and all is well.

I was going to add that I believe Petco is doing the dollar a gallon sale again from the prices yesterday if you are up to getting a 20 for $20. Others will give you different advice on UTHs. I was less concerned with the cost just easy and convenient and already had a Zoomed UTH.

Good luck with everything!
Thanks Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

Topic author
Hermiehomes4Gretchen
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:33 am

Re: UTH my hermit crabs are cold!!!

Post by Hermiehomes4Gretchen » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:41 pm

I think I'm going with flukers because it's reusable. And it has good ratings!

User avatar

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 4551
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:12 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: UTH my hermit crabs are cold!!!

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:31 am

Hermiehomes4Gretchen wrote:I think I'm going with flukers because it's reusable. And it has good ratings!
A couple of our members have had good experiences with flukers, so I dont imagine you'll run into much issue using this brand.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

User avatar

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 9726
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Contact:

Re: UTH my hermit crabs are cold!!!

Post by wodesorel » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:53 am

Hermiehomes4Gretchen wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:41 pm
I think I'm going with flukers because it's reusable. And it has good ratings!
If your room temp is 68 or below, you'll need one that covers as much of the back as possible. Don't go by gallon size! I use mostly Flukers myself and really like them.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Post Reply