Hide for a big boy?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
spacecowboy

Hide for a big boy?

Post by spacecowboy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:38 am

Howdy all,
I recently acquired my first jumbo hermit crab and am having issues finding a hide that can accommodate him. His shell is roughly 3.5" tall and 5" long. The height isn't the issue but the width is for sure. I've found plenty of hides he could have comfortably fit into but the openings have all been too small for him to get inside and I'm at a loss. I'm not much of a DIYer but I was thinking perhaps I could buy a large flat piece of cork bark and prop/place it in a way that would provide a cave of sorts for him. I'm not really sure how that would work though. Does anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate any input or advice you can offer.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
spacecowboy

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Hide for a big boy?

Post by wodesorel » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:54 am

I use a big cork round for my guys! It fits them nicely, but they are eating their way through it faster than I'd like for the price. I did have to saltwater boil the cork round climber I have in my other tank because of how much mold was growing on it, so it's something to watch for based on how your tank behaves.

I've also thought about making them a larger hide using stone tile, but we have a tile cutter so it's not much of an investment. I've done this for my geckos and it's nice because you can control all dimensions including the doorway.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

gunstreet.girl

Re: Hide for a big boy?

Post by gunstreet.girl » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:05 am

Same as Wodesorel, I have a large cork round for my big guys.