Is the substrate ratio okay?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Is the substrate ratio okay?

Post by IsolatedShadow » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:10 pm

My last post focusing on substrate was the worry of the weight in the 100 gal tank due to living in a trailer house. I ended up having to do a lot more EE than sand since it is much lighter. I have approximately 6 inches of sub all around. I used 2 bags of sand and the rest is EE, at least 4 bricks, half a bag and the substrate i had in in my old 30 gallon (4 inches all around).

What do you think the ratio would be? Is this completely safe for the hermits? It is still mostly sandcastle consistency but I'm still on edge. Should i try to convince my Nanny to get another bag of sand and slowly add it to the tank?
New owner to 8 hermits, two of them belong to my aunt (and some of the others we both own). Hermits from smallest to largest: Dwebble, McShelldon, Crustle, Piggy, Sharkie, Lint. Snappy.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Is the substrate ratio okay?

Post by wodesorel » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:12 pm

Depth is way more important than the ratio!! If it's a good height for them to molt safely, I would not worry about adding anything more to it.

Since it does have more EE, just watch how much water and moisture you're adding to the tank, as EE gets oversaturated easily. That's pretty much the only reason why its not highly recommended, it takes more fussing and monitoring.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Re: Is the substrate ratio okay?

Post by IsolatedShadow » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:48 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:12 pm
Depth is way more important than the ratio!! If it's a good height for them to molt safely, I would not worry about adding anything more to it.

Since it does have more EE, just watch how much water and moisture you're adding to the tank, as EE gets oversaturated easily. That's pretty much the only reason why its not highly recommended, it takes more fussing and monitoring.
Okay, thank you very much!!! I'll make sure to watch over the tank. The humidity in it is so far so good, so I don't ever need to spray it. Hopefully it stays that way for a while!
New owner to 8 hermits, two of them belong to my aunt (and some of the others we both own). Hermits from smallest to largest: Dwebble, McShelldon, Crustle, Piggy, Sharkie, Lint. Snappy.