Should I be worried?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Sillymel

Should I be worried?

Post by Sillymel » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:28 pm

Today I noticed that the right bottom corner of my 55 gallon looked really wet and goes around the corner to the side. Can anyone tell me if this is something I should be worried about?ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Re: Should I be worried?

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:30 pm

If you can slip a knife down right up against the glass, and wiggle it a bit. Then take the knife out. If water pools in it you have a flood. If it holds its shape but no water you're fine.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Sillymel

Post by Sillymel » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:04 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:If you can slip a knife down right up against the glass, and wiggle it a bit. Then take the knife out. If water pools in it you have a flood. If it holds its shape but no water you're fine.
Thank you!!! I slipped the knife down the front and the side and no pool developed. The substrate held its shape.Image Both of my tanks have been collecting quite a bit of condensation lately and I’m not sure why. I’m continuously wiping them off with paper towels. Thank you again for the help!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:56 pm

Sillymel wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:04 pm
Thank you!!! I slipped the knife down the front and the side and no pool developed. The substrate held its shape.Image Both of my tanks have been collecting quite a bit of condensation lately and I’m not sure why. I’m continuously wiping them off with paper towels. Thank you again for the help!

You're welcome!
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:55 am

If you've seen my one post, there was a weird darkish green line that turned out to be a bacterial bloom from me keeping the sub far too moist. I also had a ten gallon that was about the same (far too moist), but no visible signs of a bacterial bloom although there definitely was one.

I would definitely keep an eye on that... and after going through the 'change everything' in two tanks, I would prob grab a plastic spoon and dig a little bit just to make sure the smell is fine. It would change from the normal smell to smelling "off" the further you dig. At this point it just looks wet to me though, but who knows.

Just a heads up because I had no idea there was a bacterial bloom until digging in a corner and smelling. It wasn't until I started removing all of the substrate when I got towards the bottom and it really, really smelled!

Topic author
Sillymel

Post by Sillymel » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:42 pm

Kydra wrote:If you've seen my one post, there was a weird darkish green line that turned out to be a bacterial bloom from me keeping the sub far too moist. I also had a ten gallon that was about the same (far too moist), but no visible signs of a bacterial bloom although there definitely was one.

I would definitely keep an eye on that... and after going through the 'change everything' in two tanks, I would prob grab a plastic spoon and dig a little bit just to make sure the smell is fine. It would change from the normal smell to smelling "off" the further you dig. At this point it just looks wet to me though, but who knows.

Just a heads up because I had no idea there was a bacterial bloom until digging in a corner and smelling. It wasn't until I started removing all of the substrate when I got towards the bottom and it really, really smelled!
Actually, your Post is what had me worried. I’ve been following your “nightmare” the past few days and I think that’s what made me take a closer look at my tanks. When I saw the wetness I immediately thought the worse and started to panic (there are 4 crabs down right now). I did smell the knife that I used and it seemed to smell normal, not sure if the smell would transfer onto the knife though. I don’t see any discoloring right now and am definitely going to be keeping a close eye on it. Glad that you got everything taken care of and that everyone was okay.

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:41 pm

Sillymel wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:42 pm
Actually, your Post is what had me worried. I’ve been following your “nightmare” the past few days and I think that’s what made me take a closer look at my tanks. When I saw the wetness I immediately thought the worse and started to panic (there are 4 crabs down right now). I did smell the knife that I used and it seemed to smell normal, not sure if the smell would transfer onto the knife though. I don’t see any discoloring right now and am definitely going to be keeping a close eye on it. Glad that you got everything taken care of and that everyone was okay.

Thanks and yeah I've definitely had a few 'issues' lately to say the least. I did do the chopstick test with a straw prior to even realizing there was a bacterial bloom and couldn't smell anything off. When it was recommended to dig down, I used a plastic spoon in the corner and just slowly dug a small section and the sub smelled fine until I really got to the bottom. At that point, the sub on the spoon had an off smell... it wasn't anything drastic, but I knew it wasn't right so (as you know) decided to change all of the substrate.

When I got to the bottom few inches when removing the sub, that off smell was just rancid. Definitely not trying to freak you or anyone out, but definitely worth monitoring for sure. Didn't realize that you have crabs down molting so hopefully just a little extra moisture is all.

Personally, I'd dig and sniff the sub (lol) all the way to the bottom in that corner. If anything, no smell and you can ease your mind a bit, but that's obviously your call. Again, it just looks wet but I'd still smell just to be sure. My ten gallon didn't show any discoloration at all. Just rotten eggs smell at the bottom when I decided I might as well check that tank as well.

Both were oversaturated though and I'm trying to keep things on the dryer side now as long as I have the proper humidity. For me, at this point, better than having another bacterial bloom. I also mixed the sand and EE much, much better when I redid both tanks.

Good luck and hoping for the best for ya!