Okay to cover Ultratherm UTH with aluminum foil for heat reflection?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
DragonsFly

Okay to cover Ultratherm UTH with aluminum foil for heat reflection?

Post by DragonsFly » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:52 pm

I need to get more of the UTH's heat going IN to the tank and less coming OUT into the room. I have been trying to find some smaller pieces of the Mylar bubble-wrap insulation, because I don't need a whole big roll and that is expensive. But in the meantime, it is safe to use regular aluminum foil (as used for cooking) to cover the UTH and reflect the heat back into the tank?
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

doth

Re: Okay to cover Ultratherm UTH with aluminum foil for heat reflection?

Post by doth » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:25 pm

yes ultratherms can be safely insulated with aluminum foil! I've done it myself & it helps a lot!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:02 pm

Thanks!!!

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:05 am

Is this true for any UTH? For example the Flukers brand that you attach yourself?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•°☆~♡~☆°• MauiMama•°☆~♡~☆°•

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:34 pm

Good question, MauiMama; I don't know, I have only used the ZooMed sticky kind (which should not be insulated, and which I do not use anymore), and now the Ultratherm, which you attach with tape, and can be insulated, even just with aluminum foil (as I've just learned). It definitely made a big difference, right away, and since we just had a cold snap, it was just in time!

Maybe somebody else will come along and shed more light on the Flukers type. :)

― G.K. Chesterton

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:52 pm

No. Not all UTH can be safely insulated.

But I've heard flukers abd Ultratherm can, so if you have one of the two it sbould be safe to do so.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:06 pm

The very flat kind sealed in a thin sheet of plastic are usually safe to insulate. Flukers for sure can be.

The ones that are thicker and rubbery or puffy generally cannot be. They're already one-sided heat, and packing on the installation can make then get much hotter than intended which is when it becomes a danger.

There are package inserts on all brands that explain how to use them safely. Most (if not all) will have a PDF of the instructions on their webpages for download, so you can research before buying.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:24 pm

wodesorel wrote:The very flat kind sealed in a thin sheet of plastic are usually safe to insulate. Flukers for sure can be.

The ones that are thicker and rubbery or puffy generally cannot be. They're already one-sided heat, and packing on the installation can make then get much hotter than intended which is when it becomes a danger.

There are package inserts on all brands that explain how to use them safely. Most (if not all) will have a PDF of the instructions on their webpages for download, so you can research before buying.
Thank you so much, that is super helpful. Mine came without an insert, and I didn't think to check the product website xD

Your explanation really clears up a lot of questions for me. I worry a lot about fire hazards, so I always want to be extra-careful!

Thanks, everyone! I cannot express enough how much I value the support and knowledge everyone here at HCA provides!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•°☆~♡~☆°• MauiMama•°☆~♡~☆°•