Substrate concern

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
capisun22

Substrate concern

Post by capisun22 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:14 pm

hello everybody, i am new here and am planning to source play sand with eco earth for my substrate. My problem now is there no recommended play sand in my country and even amazon and ebay or any site does not ship play sand to my country. My only options are from a local store which sells brandless play sand. The description given were:

Suitable for out door sand pits
Washed & processed. no chemicals
Colour of sand varies
May contain outside debris

or Natural play sand

-Suitable for table play
-Clean, non-toxic

or PLAY SAND 25KG BAG (SILICA)

-Coarse silica sand (rock sand), safe for children's sand table/pits.

the above are all brandless and only descriptions given are as above.

Do you guys think it would be okay to get it? or can i just use pure eco earth. Any play sand is ridiculously priced in my country.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Substrate concern

Post by wodesorel » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:43 pm

You'll have an easier time with maintenance if you add some playsand to the mix. EE by itself is fine, but it can be challenging to keep at the right moisture levels. The sand helps change the consistency and slows down evaporation.

Either of the playsands would be safe. The natural one sounds like it may be finer, which may be better as it will cause less issues. Playsand for children has been sterilized and will be free from harmful chemicals and contaminates.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram