Bacteria spray?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
PeekaBoo2013

Bacteria spray?

Post by PeekaBoo2013 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:16 pm

I'm only a week into ownership and saw this whole I was browsing. Is it safe? Or not even necessary? My tank is not stinky currently (just smells like the forest right now). I have sand and eco earth mixed as substrate.ImageImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2 Tabby Cats: Peeka and Boo(10/2013)
3 Purple Pinchers: Bagel (11/2019), Schmear (11/2019), and Lox (12/2019)

Brand new owner of hermit crabs, I have never been around them and I'm learning a lot!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Bacteria spray?

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:30 pm

Not needed, and probably more of a gimmick really. The enzymes used are probably not going to do much, and the bacteria is likely to be growing anyway - warm/moist environment = heaven for bacteria.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
PeekaBoo2013

Post by PeekaBoo2013 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:53 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:Not needed, and probably more of a gimmick really.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
That's what I was thinking!

Brand new owner of hermit crabs, I have never been around them and I'm learning a lot!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:57 pm

If you want something to clean your tank there are always Isopods. They live thrive in the same conditions as crabs a don't bother them either. They will eat poop and scattered food. The biggest down size is 20 can turn to 2000 in a very short time and take over the tank. You need to set up another habitat for them to move your excess in. I found them to be more of a burden than benefit.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

HermitCrabmomma616

Post by HermitCrabmomma616 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:21 pm

I have the same stuff, idk if it works I just use it once in awhile I hope it works lol! :)
2 golf ball sized pps 1 GSD koda 1 huge oranda goldfish buttercup 1 small fantail goldfish 2 bettas

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:26 pm

I use beneficial bacteria in a koi pond. It really helps to keep the water clean/clear and the beneficial bacteria breaks down a lot of waste and organics like leaves falling in the pond. I've been happy with that for years.

Curious how long this has been on the market. I can see how adding beneficial bacteria would help decompose waste from the crabs and old bits of food laying around. Also, should stave off harmful bacteria in theory.

Where did you happen to find this at? Online/Pet store? I've never seen anything like this before for hermit crab substrate.

Topic author
PeekaBoo2013

Post by PeekaBoo2013 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:50 pm

Kydra wrote:I use beneficial bacteria in a koi pond. It really helps to keep the water clean/clear and the beneficial bacteria breaks down a lot of waste and organics like leaves falling in the pond. I've been happy with that for years.

Curious how long this has been on the market. I can see how adding beneficial bacteria would help decompose waste from the crabs and old bits of food laying around. Also, should stave off harmful bacteria in theory.

Where did you happen to find this at? Online/Pet store? I've never seen anything like this before for hermit crab substrate.
I agree that good bacteria is good. But I just wasn't sure if this was legitimate good bacteria because I thought bacteria had to be alive and didn't see how a spray on the shelf would keep them alive.

I saw it at petsmart in Indiana.

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:14 pm

PeekaBoo2013 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:50 pm
I agree that good bacteria is good. But I just wasn't sure if this was legitimate good bacteria because I thought bacteria had to be alive and didn't see how a spray on the shelf would keep them alive.

I saw it at petsmart in Indiana.

I've had success with a cupful of liquid bacteria in thousands of gallons of water (pond) as well as with the powdered beneficial bacteria that just dissolves and sinks into the pond. Both make cleaning a lot easier (less waste) and have kept the fish healthy.

The liquid container is kinda dormant as you can tell by the smell. When you shake it well you can smell the bacteria. Not sure exactly how it works, but it does work for the pond.

Topic author
PeekaBoo2013

Post by PeekaBoo2013 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:03 pm

Kydra wrote: I've had success with a cupful of liquid bacteria in thousands of gallons of water (pond) as well as with the powdered beneficial bacteria that just dissolves and sinks into the pond. Both make cleaning a lot easier (less waste) and have kept the fish healthy.

The liquid container is kinda dormant as you can tell by the smell. When you shake it well you can smell the bacteria. Not sure exactly how it works, but it does work for the pond.
Thank you. That makes sense.