From a 10 gallon to a 20L!

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
aslansgirl89

From a 10 gallon to a 20L!

Post by aslansgirl89 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:57 pm

As it says in the title, I upgraded my hermits from a 10 to a 20L tank tonight and they have so much more antenna space now! I just have a couple of quick questions though. I bought the 20L on Facebook Marketplace and gave it a thorough cleaning and switched them over to it but it did not come with a top. Eventually I plan on getting one for them but in the meantime I am using the old one plus a few boards to keep in heat and humidity but my question is what kind of top is the best for a 20L? Should I get a screen top and cover it with saran wrap to keep in heat and humidity or do they sell hood lamps for 20L tanks? I also have a heating pad on one side of the tank in case you can't see it in the pictures but this is what I have going on currently so we don't have escapees! Lol!
Note: I am in a place that has all 4 seasons so heat and humidity are important aspects of my setup. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Xenocrab

Re: From a 10 gallon to a 20L!

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:01 pm

Where is your UTH placed? Are you planning on adding play sand to your substrate? I recommend a glass lid or plexiglass lid. Are you using a regulator and some kind of thermostat?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
aslansgirl89

Post by aslansgirl89 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:06 pm

The uth is resting on the left side and back side of the tank. Yes I have a combination thermometer and hygrometer stuck on the back of the tank. If I got a glass lid, how would I provide heat? As far as play sand goes, no. I never have before and they both just came up from a molt and didn't seem terribly bothered by not having it.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:20 pm

Have you read the care guides that are provided on here?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
aslansgirl89

Post by aslansgirl89 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:23 pm

A few, yes. I have had these two little guys for about two years now.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:22 pm

aslansgirl89 wrote:As it says in the title, I upgraded my hermits from a 10 to a 20L tank tonight and they have so much more antenna space now! I just have a couple of quick questions though. I bought the 20L on Facebook Marketplace and gave it a thorough cleaning and switched them over to it but it did not come with a top. Eventually I plan on getting one for them but in the meantime I am using the old one plus a few boards to keep in heat and humidity but my question is what kind of top is the best for a 20L? Should I get a screen top and cover it with saran wrap to keep in heat and humidity or do they sell hood lamps for 20L tanks? I also have a heating pad on one side of the tank in case you can't see it in the pictures but this is what I have going on currently so we don't have escapees! Lol!
Note: I am in a place that has all 4 seasons so heat and humidity are important aspects of my setup. ImageImage

Congrats on the upgrade! Image
I started out with a screen/mesh lid I already had and had plastic bags and saran wrap around it. But it got to be a pain to move the whole lid to change food/water. So I bought a glass top with a hinge/lid to make food/water change easier. It also keeps the humidity in much better. Just be aware, if you buy the 20 gal L glass lid from Petco (30" in length), it may not fit perfectly. It comes with a plastic strip on the back if you need to cut out areas for filters if using it for a fish tank. That plastic strip was not wide enough and left about a 1/8" gap in the back. Luckily, I've had so many tanks over the years I had a wider plastic strip on hand that covered the gap. Maybe you'll have a different brand in your area that will fit better. ImageImage

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:35 pm

I love upgrades! A digital therm/hygrometer is much more acurate than the dial one. Many people use the Ultratherm uth. A size that will cover the entire back of the tank from the top of the substrate to top of tank. Are the pools deep enough for them to completely submerge, with a safe way in and out? How does the hamster wheel spin if it's partly buried?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:47 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:I love upgrades! A digital therm/hygrometer is much more acurate than the dial one. Many people use the Ultratherm uth. A size that will cover the entire back of the tank from the top of the substrate to top of tank. Are the pools deep enough for them to completely submerge, with a safe way in and out? How does the hamster wheel spin if it's partly buried?
It could be she's using the wheel for them just to climb on/over instead of walk in. Image

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
aslansgirl89

Post by aslansgirl89 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:54 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:I love upgrades! A digital therm/hygrometer is much more acurate than the dial one. Many people use the Ultratherm uth. A size that will cover the entire back of the tank from the top of the substrate to top of tank. Are the pools deep enough for them to completely submerge, with a safe way in and out? How does the hamster wheel spin if it's partly buried?
Ok thanks for the info. As for the hamster wheel, my crabs weren't big enough to make it spin anyway and were just climbing upside down and also people kept warning me that they could get their legs stuck so I decided to just keep it as a climbing apparatus for them instead of a spinning wheel. Keep in mind that I do plan on continuing to make modifications to the tank. I just set everything up tonight. I had a digital thermometer/hygrometer but the humidity of the tank kind of killed it so I am not sure how I would use one without it dying on me.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:12 pm

I would add some sand to make the sub deeper. Most of us use a mix of 5 parts play sand to 1 part EE, but other mixes are used sucessfully too. Straight EE is more prone to flooding and other problems. The mixture holds it's shape really well and helps with humidity.
I didn't have a lid on my 10 or 20 gallon tanks, I used plastic wrap alone. Now my 55 gallon has a plexi glass lid, which works well (and I don't have to keep the cats out of the room with the crabs. An UTH is great for heat, and doesn't zap humidity like lamps do (or multiple UTH's - I have two on the back and one on each side, as the room the tank is in varies greatly in temp between seasons).
Great job so far, you are on the right track, jsut need some hides and greenery and a few more things to climb!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:41 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:22 pm
Congrats on the upgrade! Image
I started out with a screen/mesh lid I already had and had plastic bags and saran wrap around it. But it got to be a pain to move the whole lid to change food/water. So I bought a glass top with a hinge/lid to make food/water change easier. It also keeps the humidity in much better. Just be aware, if you buy the 20 gal L glass lid from Petco (30" in length), it may not fit perfectly. It comes with a plastic strip on the back if you need to cut out areas for filters if using it for a fish tank. That plastic strip was not wide enough and left about a 1/8" gap in the back. Luckily, I've had so many tanks over the years I had a wider plastic strip on hand that covered the gap. Maybe you'll have a different brand in your area that will fit better. ImageImage

That’s the exact top I use and I also have the same issue with that plastic piece but it keeps humidity in my tank and the heat as well wonderfully. I also have a 20L currently just in case u were curious. My humidity stays around 95% u til I open the top to do my business while they are sleeping and it seems to drop humidity fast but gives the air they need and humidity rises right back up. I have both that exact temp/hygrometer as well as a digital one I got in the mail today. The temps are different on both as of now but 8m giving it a couple hours to adjust accordingly before I make any decisions. I would just keep an eye out on the temp and humidity for sure.
Great set up and can’t wait to see what else you do with it! :crabbigsmile:
Crabbing with my son now! My my, how things have changed!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:19 am

Just to confirm....you mean going from a 10 gallon to a 20 GALLON (not liter), right?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:46 am

20L means 20 long

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:54 am

Ah, I am Canadian....20L is 20 liters here! LOL! Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:46 pm

Oh girl! No reason to be sorry! Lol