How Often To Change Substrate

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
jonathon1989

How Often To Change Substrate

Post by jonathon1989 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:31 am

Hello everyone, I use Eco Earth Coconut Fiber for my substrate and I haven’t been able to find out how often to change it. Any info would help. Thank you.

gunstreet.girl

Re: How Often To Change Substrate

Post by gunstreet.girl » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:37 am

Unless there’s an issue with your substrate (bacterial bloom, flood, infestation of harmful insects) you don’t need to change it out. Ensure it’s the right depth and consistency, spot clean any large pieces of food waste you see dragged out of the food bowl, and top up the quantity as needed. But no need to change it out.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:22 am

Yep, as GG said, no need to change except in emergency circumstances. Most of us use a mix of EE and play sand - it holds it's shape well, helps with humidity, and cheaper than just EE. Straight EE has been known to be a bit more problematic . In the 9+ years I have had my crabs, I have never changed out the sub completely. I have just added more as they have grown and as I have upgraded tanks.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:23 am

I use straight EE, for a variety of reasons, and have done so for ~10 years without issue.