Probably a silly question

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Julsie

Probably a silly question

Post by Julsie » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:01 pm

So I have a moonglow bulb in a dome lamp and a daytime heat bulb in a regular light fixture i’d say. My lid to my crabitat is wrapped in some layers of saran wrap. I know the dome lamp is supposed to be sitting on top of the lid but is it safe with the saran wrap? If it is safe will it send enough light/heat thru because of the saran wrap? And also any tips on where to place the daytime heat lamp at? They’re both currently sitting in front of the tank and i rotate them between the 12 hours. Heres a picture for reference ImageImage

The way they are currently set up gives me no problems with the humidity. The humidity is always pretty good with a reading of about 78% right now and 80 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Re: Probably a silly question

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:42 pm

The lamp will definately melt the saran wrap. Just some info, sponges in the water harbour bacteria. They should be ditched. How deep is the substrate?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:58 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:The lamp will definately melt the saran wrap. Just some info, sponges in the water harbour bacteria. They should be ditched. How deep is the substrate?
I’m ordering more substrate off chewy because when I transferred them over to the 40gal the substrate was not deep enough but it was deep enough for their old tank! And what if I clean the sponges frequently? I have those two in the larger bowls so my smaller ones don’t drown?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:09 am

Nope, sponges in the water will harbor bacteria, no matter how much you clean them. You can put them in dry for the crabs to much on. You can use rocks in the pools. Or many of us use Rubbermaid type containers with craft mesh/ plastic canvas attached with small zip ties for the crabs to climb in and out.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:16 am

curlysister wrote:Nope, sponges in the water will harbor bacteria, no matter how much you clean them. You can put them in dry for the crabs to much on. You can use rocks in the pools. Or many of us use Rubbermaid type containers with craft mesh/ plastic canvas attached with small zip ties for the crabs to climb in and out.
Ok i will take them out now and clean them and place them in dry outside of the water bowl for another day. I noticed many of my crabs liked to sit on them in their water bowls so thats why i kept them in there. I will look into buying something / creating something to help with climbing in and out

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:47 am

Leave them in until you get something for them to climb in and out with! LOL!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:53 am

curlysister wrote:Leave them in until you get something for them to climb in and out with! LOL!
Okay whoops sorry i got a lil frightened about the bacteria part

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:02 am

When I used heat lamps, I had ziploc bags on the lid and cut a hole for the light to sit directly on the metal mesh. Didn't lose much humidity, but I may have gotten lucky.

If what you have works for you, I wouldn't change anything unless you don't like it!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram