Moldy Substrate?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Julsie

Moldy Substrate?

Post by Julsie » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:01 pm

Uh so I currently have eco earth only. It’s about 3-4 inches (I know I need 6) (my crabies are content now though they can burrow themselves pretty deep as I can see) and I know about the mixing with play sand. I already have a online basket ready on chewy that I’m waiting to purchase for more substrate once I get paid. But I noticed something in the substrate while building second levels. I recently found mold on a lizard hammock (already cleaned and took care of) but now that I think about it my substrate has these tiny white or blue specks sprinkled all around the substrate and It’s literally EVERYWHERE! I have no clue what it is but now since I discovered mold I fear it could too be mold? The specks literally look like they’re supposed to be there in the substrate that’s how much and how evenly spread it is in the substrate. Way back in October when I first started crabbing I was not very educated and I bought the blue calcium crab sand from petsmart along with the coconut fiber. Could it possibly be that? I have no idea how to explain this I tried the best I could so my only hope is that a picture will help explain. By the way my tank is a 40 gal with a saran wrapped lid (the whole lid is wrapped and I read it is safe to ALSO not allow airflow as long as U take the lid off every now and then between cleaning/etc bcause the crabbies will get fresh air then) (not sure though i’m still new) but anyway I’m probably going to look into adding some air holes somewhere along the saran wrap because the humidity seemed ImageImageImageImageto be causing mold at a rapid pace. My humidity is between 78%-80% btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Moldy Substrate?

Post by curlysister » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:13 pm

Sorry I can't help with the spots. Had you mixed the calcium sand in with the EE?

If you humidity is 78-80% with the lid sealed completely, it will likely go too low if you poke holes in it. Where it is now is ideal. You are correct that they get enough air flow when you open the tank to change water and food etc. How's your temperature?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:23 pm

curlysister wrote:Sorry I can't help with the spots. Had you mixed the calcium sand in with the EE?

If you humidity is 78-80% with the lid sealed completely, it will likely go too low if you poke holes in it. Where it is now is ideal. You are correct that they get enough air flow when you open the tank to change water and food etc. How's your temperature?
Yes back in late October when I first started crabbing I bought blue calcium hermit sand and also the EE and I had it separated on opposite sides of my old 20gal and later on when I bought more EE after reading about the blue sand I just ended up mixing it all together since there was barely any blue sand left. I have a feeling it may be that but you never know. Ever since my mold scare on the hammock i’ve been paranoid and don’t wanna put my crabs in danger. And okay I won’t poke holes in the saran wrap it’s just that mold caught up rapidly but I stopped misting my tank as frequently because my humidity didn’t budge anymore after the 78%-80% (i’m thinking of buying another uth maybe that will help?) I feel like the humidity should be a tad bit better. And my house is kept between 72-73 degrees on cool & heat. My temperature for the tank always reads at about 80.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:21 pm

I think you are right, it’s probably left over bits from your blue calcium sand.

jonathon1989

Post by jonathon1989 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:45 pm

It’s important that the air is properly circulated and vented as I previously discovered when I tried to use an aquarium lid for my previous tank. I soon started to get white fuzzy mold. Not good for the hermit crabs and humans or any living thing. I use a standard reptile lid. Image

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:04 pm

jonathon1989 wrote:It’s important that the air is properly circulated and vented as I previously discovered when I tried to use an aquarium lid for my previous tank. I soon started to get white fuzzy mold. Not good for the hermit crabs and humans or any living thing. I use a standard reptile lid. Image

But if I don’t have my lid wrapped my tank won’t keep its humidity that the crabs need its already at 78%-80% even taking the lid off completely for like 5 minutes the humidity drops. I have an UTH and 4 water bowls, the substrate is moist and they dig like crazy in it and I also have moss scattered across the tank and in a moss pit. I just don’t know what to do

jonathon1989

Post by jonathon1989 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:07 pm

Julsie wrote: But if I don’t have my lid wrapped my tank won’t keep its humidity that the crabs need its already at 78%-80% even taking the lid off completely for like 5 minutes the humidity drops. I have an UTH and 4 water bowls, the substrate is moist and they dig like crazy in it and I also have moss scattered across the tank and in a moss pit. I just don’t know what to do

I know. I have had similar challenges when trying to retain humidity. What are you using to wrap the lid?

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:07 pm

jonathon1989 wrote:It’s important that the air is properly circulated and vented as I previously discovered when I tried to use an aquarium lid for my previous tank. I soon started to get white fuzzy mold. Not good for the hermit crabs and humans or any living thing. I use a standard reptile lid. Image

Image this is the lid I have taped up with saran wrap lol

jonathon1989

Post by jonathon1989 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:10 pm

Julsie wrote: Image this is the lid I have taped up with saran wrap lol

Perhaps maybe putting small holes in the wrap? Just enough to allow circulation of air? I cant know for sure if this would work. In the end its all trial and error.

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:11 pm

jonathon1989 wrote: I know. I have had similar challenges when trying to retain humidity. What are you using to wrap the lid?

ImageImage
Do you think I should leave it cracked with air circulating inside? Im gonna try that. The lid lays on top of the tank and if u press down on it it snaps shut and tight letting in no air circulation so i think i should try not snapping the lid down and leaving the air flow across the top of the tank

jonathon1989

Post by jonathon1989 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:20 pm

Julsie wrote: ImageImage
Do you think I should leave it cracked with air circulating inside? Im gonna try that. The lid lays on top of the tank and if u press down on it it snaps shut and tight letting in no air circulation so i think i should try not snapping the lid down and leaving the air flow across the top of the tank

Its worth a try. Image

DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:56 pm

Julsie wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:11 pm
ImageImage

Mold actually isn't a danger to hermit crabs, though it can be an allergen to us humans. Having mold in your tank isn't going to harm your crabs, but it might be unsightly for you to look at.

I had a very brief issue with mold growing in my tank, but it eventually cleared up on its own. I feel it's rather inevitable within an environment that needs such high humidity.

If you want to give venting a try, you can, but any amount of area that's vented is going to release your humidity, and that can drop quite a bit, even with such a small vent.
No harm in trying, though, but if the humidity does drop, I'd seal it back up again right away. Again, the mold isn't going to harm them in any way, it just might not look so pretty until it runs its course and clears up by itself.
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!

RiNiKy506

Moldy Substrate?

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:00 pm

What is molding? Their food? You can remove the moldy food pieces on the substrate that they track around. Having their food mold after a few days is normal for the conditions that the hermit crabs need to live in.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:40 pm

As stated, the white fuzzy mold isn't bad for the hermit crabs - it's only really an issue if the humans are allergic. Like Riniky said, mold will happen in any environment where the temp and humidity are as high as crabs need. As for air circulation, they get enough air exchange when we open the lid to change food, water, etc.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:57 pm

DevilNDisguise wrote: Mold actually isn't a danger to hermit crabs, though it can be an allergen to us humans. Having mold in your tank isn't going to harm your crabs, but it might be unsightly for you to look at.

I had a very brief issue with mold growing in my tank, but it eventually cleared up on its own. I feel it's rather inevitable within an environment that needs such high humidity.

If you want to give venting a try, you can, but any amount of area that's vented is going to release your humidity, and that can drop quite a bit, even with such a small vent.
No harm in trying, though, but if the humidity does drop, I'd seal it back up again right away. Again, the mold isn't going to harm them in any way, it just might not look so pretty until it runs its course and clears up by itself.
Thank you for the response!