What size uth?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Julsie

What size uth?

Post by Julsie » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:10 am

I currently have one small hermit crab zoo med uth and I’m thinking about getting another or multiple. I currently have it placed on one side of the tank underneath it because when I placed it on the back of the tank on one side it gave me less of a reaction then when it was placed underneath. I read a lot that people have multiple placed on the sides and back of the tank. My tank is a 40 gal breeder. Any opinions on brands and what size is good for my tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What size uth?

Post by curlysister » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:18 am

You need to immediately remove it from under the tank - it can create pockets of heat and cook the crabs to death.
UTH's must be mounted on the side or back of the tank. Personally, I use two on the back and one on each side, because the temp of the room varies greatly between seasons. Don't go by the number of gallons the UTH says it's good for - go by the size. You want to cover as much as you can from the level of the top of the sub to the top of the tank, and side to side. It's okay if it goes a but lower than the sub line, but you want to heat the air not the sand.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:20 am

curlysister wrote:You need to immediately remove it from under the tank - it can create pockets of heat and cook the crabs to death.
UTH's must be mounted on the side or back of the tank. Personally, I use two on the back and one on each side, because the temp of the room varies greatly between seasons. Don't go by the number of gallons the UTH says it's good for - go by the size. You want to cover as much as you can from the level of the top of the sub to the top of the tank, and side to side. It's okay if it goes a but lower than the sub line, but you want to heat the air not the sand.
Thank u i’ll place it on the side !

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:22 am

Depending on the brand, you can either insulate over top (the ones that don't have a sticky side) or around (the sticky ones) the UTH. And put a blanket on the top of the tank. Those will help with heat til you can get another or larger UTH.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:40 am

curlysister wrote:Depending on the brand, you can either insulate over top (the ones that don't have a sticky side) or around (the sticky ones) the UTH. And put a blanket on the top of the tank. Those will help with heat til you can get another or larger UTH.
Ok I placed the uth on the side of the tank and it dropped my humidity from 78% to like 65%

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:07 am

Julsie wrote: Ok I placed the uth on the side of the tank and it dropped my humidity from 78% to like 65%

What do you have for a lid? You can cover the tank with saran wrap to keep the humidity in.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:12 am

curlysister wrote:What do you have for a lid? You can cover the tank with saran wrap to keep the humidity in.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
I have a lid covered and taped up using saran wrap the whole lid is covered and on tight. I placed a thick cardboard material type shopping bag on top of the uth and taped it up against the glass and also got a thick blanket covering the shopping bag and my humidity is still under 70%. Before it was around 78%-80% with the uth placed underneath the tank on one side in the center. I never saw any pockets like the ones you described in that part of the area of my tank. Does it make a difference where the humidity/temp gauge is placed? It lost stickiness and its sitting on the inside side part of the tank at the bottom of my substrate on the side of the tank my uth is placed.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:24 pm

Yes, if the hygrometer sits right against the UTH it could affect the reading. Have you calibrated it? Also, digital gauges are more accurate than analog ones.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:43 pm

Yeah, not nearly enough watts for the size of tank you have! Especially since 40s are extra wide.

If you're struggling badly for heat, I'd recommend either a Fluker's jumbo heat mat, or an Ultratherm 11x36. If your heat is holding almost okay now, then you can aim for a skinnier 6 inch wide one.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:56 pm

wodesorel wrote:Yeah, not nearly enough watts for the size of tank you have! Especially since 40s are extra wide.

If you're struggling badly for heat, I'd recommend either a Fluker's jumbo heat mat, or an Ultratherm 11x36. If your heat is holding almost okay now, then you can aim for a skinnier 6 inch wide one.
Thank you i planned on adding another I just didn’t know size or brands that were what others recommended

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:57 pm

curlysister wrote:Yes, if the hygrometer sits right against the UTH it could affect the reading. Have you calibrated it? Also, digital gauges are more accurate than analog ones.
Thanks ill try placing it elsewhere. Yeah im gonna be ordering a pack of digital ones to place all around the walls of the tank

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:39 pm

I had an 11x35” ultratherm on the back of my 40gal breeder from reptile basics.com, insulated and that’s all I needed for the most part. Every once in awhile on very cold night, I would plug in a smaller one I had stuck on the side but our old house was old with hardly any insulation. It covered just about the whole back but it kept my tank very nice once I got rid of those ipower heat mats. They had come with the tank when I bought it, so I tried them. My opinion they were awful. I absolutely love my ultratherms and I’ve found them to be a lot cheaper than the zoomed ones from pet stores.

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:48 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:I had an 11x35” ultratherm on the back of my 40gal breeder from reptile basics.com, insulated and that’s all I needed for the most part. Every once in awhile on very cold night, I would plug in a smaller one I had stuck on the side but our old house was old with hardly any insulation. It covered just about the whole back but it kept my tank very nice once I got rid of those ipower heat mats. They had come with the tank when I bought it, so I tried them. My opinion they were awful. I absolutely love my ultratherms and I’ve found them to be a lot cheaper than the zoomed ones from pet stores.
Thanks!