Heat Cable and Insulation

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
AutumnFalls

Heat Cable and Insulation

Post by AutumnFalls » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:07 am

Hey guys. I lucked out and found some Exoterra Heat Cable. So far, I'm loving it. It works much better than a mat! I still have a mat on half my tank, but hope to replace that with cable too. I've read on here about some people insulating their tanks. I know you can't cover/insulate the heat mats, but I was wondering about the heat cable. We're entering a deep freeze here (-27C high and lows of -35C) and although the crabs are warm enough in the day, they are getting down to 20C at night or a touch lower. I'd like to keep them a bit warmer without keeping my expensive baseboard heater on all night. So, can I insulate or cover the heat tape? If so, what should I use? If not, could I try insulating the bottom or the wall that they're against?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Heat Cable and Insulation

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:13 am

I believe you can, but best is to ask the manufacturer if it is possible to insulate just in case.

As for insulating the bottom/sides, yes. You can also do that, and works very well.

Edit: is it possible is you could get a pic or two of your setup? Its not a popular option on here, but I know other boards have have some success using a cable. But haha, not many pictures of setups.
Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
AutumnFalls

Post by AutumnFalls » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:06 pm

Thanks. I'm not sure how easy it is to contact the manufacturer, but I'll look into it.

I'll try to remember to take pictures and upload them later today. I know they aren't super popular here, but the better quality heat mats aren't available in Canada so I go with what I can find. The tape is definitely better than the heat mats I've used before.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:33 pm

Ok, did a little more digging, it looks like the manufacturer has suggested not to encapsulate (insulate) the cable. I was wrong - I know that other brands are capable of bding insulated, but have limited experience with cables and thought all could. Sorry.

http://www.exo-terra.com/download/produ ... Manual.pdf

What I would suggest, which could be a pain as it may require some fiddly cutting, is to cut strips of your insulative material so it sits inbetween the cables and helps insulate the tank somewhat.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
AutumnFalls

Post by AutumnFalls » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:48 pm

Thanks for doing that digging. I haven't had a chance. I'll have to see what I can finagle. I do think I'll insulate the bottom and sides where there isn't any heat stuff.