Tank Set Up

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
tyronepines

Tank Set Up

Post by tyronepines » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:59 am

Hello, I've had my crabs for a few months now and I'm so in love!! I want to take good proper care of them but I'm having some trouble. I have a few questions I'm going to try to fit into here.
1) I was wondering, what is the best type of play sand to use for your crab tank? I've been searching these forums for an hour and couldn't found a proper answer. Is Sakrete play sand from Home Depot okay for purple pinchers? (Lady at the pet store told me it was fine just to have coconut dirt but I read on here that's it's not good!! Trying to fix this for them ASAP)
2) I CANNOT find a shell big enough for my crab anywhere!! I've been to every single pet store in my area and have desperately asked all the employees but nobody carries big enough shells. They're too small and she climbs out of her shell sometimes and it stresses me out. Is there an online website that sells large hermit crab shells?
3) I would like to make a little side of the tank with two small pools for my crabs to go in. I noticed my big crab likes to soak in the salt water a lot. Is there a possible link for a good set up for a nice pool side? I have a 20 gallon tank.
I'm sorry for all the questions. :oops: I really care about my crabs

Scarletfire

Re: Tank Set Up

Post by Scarletfire » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:43 am

Questions are great!

All playsand is usually good. I personally looked at reviews to see how dusty it is as the sand should be pre-washed. I personally used King play sand.

Contact Ken Lipe on Facebook. His store is "the shell store", and sells shells by the 1/8 size increments. You can ask him for a graduating set and he'll find something for you. Naples shell store is another good online one, but I like the personal interaction with Ken. There's a few other shell shops that are listed in Motorcrab's store listing.

With a 20 gallon.. It'll be too small to fit two Nano tanks. Look for the deepest container you can find. Minimum requirement is that it's deep enough for your crab to submerge. Make sure its double lined in case the one holding water leaks.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Re: Tank Set Up

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:08 am

Welcome! A naked crab is a sign that either your conditions aren't right, or he is too weak to carry his shell. What is your heat/humidity? Do you have a heat source? Where is it located?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi