Foraged Items Cleaning

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
asiankanye

Foraged Items Cleaning

Post by asiankanye » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:50 pm

Hey guys, so I know that crabs love grape leaves, and I actually have a vineyard in my garden. If I take some of my grape leaves, is it necessary for me to boil them or clean them in some way? Same goes with the apple leaves from my apple tree, and the (dead) leaf litter I found in my backyard. Please help!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Foraged Items Cleaning

Post by wodesorel » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:20 am

You don't have to, as long as you don't mind the addition of some bugs to the tank. Usually you'll get springtails by adding stuff directly, but they are beneficial to have around!

If you wanted to sterilize, it would need to be baked or boiled at a higher temperature (150+) to kill off bugs and eggs. Microwaves can be hit or miss (have had fruit flies survive), and freezing won't always take care of native insects.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
asiankanye

Post by asiankanye » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:02 pm

Got it, thanks!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:15 pm

I have harvested leaves (maple, oak, apple, grape, lilac) from my sister's yard (my yard has a field nearby that gets sprayed, so I didn't want to chance my own leaves that had been out all summer). I chose leaves that were drying but still on the tree in the fall, not the ones that had already fallen onto the ground. I let them dry fully, then scrunched them up together and put them in a baggie in the freezer to use all winter. I have never had a problem with bugs (yet, LOL). And my crabs love the mix!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers