Anyone using ZooMed Sphagnum Moss?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Anyone using ZooMed Sphagnum Moss?

Post by wodesorel » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:37 pm

I have a little bit of Xmas money, and I really need to get my guys some fresh moss! :lol: I'd like to try some sphagnum moss this time, but only if the quality is good and it'll last for a year. I've been looking at the ZooMed stuff for months now and I'd like to try it, but I was hoping for some first-hand accounts on the quality of it. Anyone use this stuff? If not, I'll probably go with another pack of the Forest Moss.

(After one year of use the Forest Moss in my tank is still good, but there is about two inches of poo and digested moss and sand on the bottom of the pit and it's time to toss it all out!)

If I can manage to fit another moss pit in and the ZooMed is good stuff then I'll do one of each. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

NeviNuNu

Re: Anyone using ZooMed Sphagnum Moss?

Post by NeviNuNu » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:53 pm

That's what I use. I got a decent size box (the medium one) for a decent price at petco. My petco and petsmart are right down te street for one another so I go between the two on whoever has the cheapest price for whatever supply!
I have 3 tanks all with moss pits and still have some extra even after adding more to my PP tank. It holds moisture well and the crabs seem to enjoy it!!!
Proud Mama to: 1 Human Son- Nevan
Furkids: 2 dogs- Arden, & Ella
Shell babies: 16 PPs, 5 Es, 2 Violas, 2 Indos, 3 Straws & 2 Blues

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:24 pm

My moss pit holds a full 7 quarts of moss, so I'd have to go with the compressed brick rather than one of the smaller boxes. :) (Hoping to have a few handfuls for the E's Shower Caddy as well.) I don't think it's the same thing as what I was thinking of though? The moss in the boxes is green, while the bales look like they're tan. (It's the one marked New Zealand Sphagnum Moss.)

NeviNuNu

Post by NeviNuNu » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:38 pm

Mine just says spangnum moss on it. Not where it's from. It's green and brown and vey earthy lol it has some bits of twigs and whatnot in it. I've caught a few crabbies nibbling on bits of bark from I too.
Proud Mama to: 1 Human Son- Nevan
Furkids: 2 dogs- Arden, & Ella
Shell babies: 16 PPs, 5 Es, 2 Violas, 2 Indos, 3 Straws & 2 Blues

Ps127v1

Post by Ps127v1 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:37 pm

My crabs love it, but it smells awful

*Sent from my phone. please excuse any auto correct errors*

CrabAddict99

Post by CrabAddict99 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:38 pm

I use New Zealand Sphagnum moss. I usually buy it for my nepenthes (carnivorous plants) as a top dressing. The crabs love it too but I've noticed it breaks down easier than regular terrarium moss does. I buy it from home depot.

I've been meaning to ask about the forest moss bricks from exoterra. Im shopping for moss too, sounds like it holds up well.
'Hermit crabs are like potato chips, you can't have just one'
brevimanus•clypeatus•compressus•perlatus•purpureus•violascens
microfauna (Porcellio scaber,Oniscus asellus, Porcellio "dalmatians")
~ crabby since October 1999
I <3 my @:<

54chevy

Post by 54chevy » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:20 pm

i bought beaked moss for them.any word on that?
I started crabbing in July 2011 :)
5 PP's:
Jay (Medium)
Dante (Medium-Large)
Randall (Medium-large),
Godzilla(Large)
Tank(Large-large)
29 gallon terrarium.

1 Nerdy Husband:
Brian(Large)(Since October 5th,2011)

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:27 pm

I put the moss in on Tuesday. :) 23 crabs in the moss pit and Firefly was molting in there again! :roll: (I put him back in the same spot once the moss was changed out.)

I last changed the moss in Dec. 2010 or February 2011, so it's been a year. Still fluffy and holding water, but seriously shredded down, lots of poop in it, and a there was a ton of sand as well! (And considering the moss pit is two and a half feet off the ground that's quite an accomplishment.) It didn't smell much at all.

The Old:

And the New:

Much fluffier and it holds together, and it's green! The crabs haven't stopped eating it since I put it in. :)