Killed in cold blood 2.0

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
NeWbE123

Killed in cold blood 2.0

Post by NeWbE123 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:48 am

So sadly I have a working to find my oldest crab mischievous eating my E who just came up from the molt last night everything is still the same except I added more substrate and I’ve been providing tons more protein so I don’t know why they’re still attacking other crabs for the protein

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mischievous, vincent and newest baby Hercules

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Killed in cold blood 2.0

Post by wodesorel » Wed May 16, 2018 1:15 pm

So sorry this happened again. :(

I had to separate out my Es from my PPs because my PPs would not stop hunting them.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed May 16, 2018 1:29 pm

Oh man. I'm so sorry for your loss. Are you also providing a lot of calcium? I have never had an issue with my crabs doing this. By the way I am by no means claiming I am perfect -but, I do keep Es and PPs successfully together.

I provide a minimum of two sources of protein daily, and a variety of calcium for them to choose from. In my tank I give my guys cuttlebone, oyster shell (fine and coarse), calcium carbonate, eggshell (whole and powdered) and coral. I do also give them crab exo once a week. I know this can be excessive - but I figure they are all individuals - just like us. Some like one kind, others may like a different kind.

Try not to get discouraged. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
NeWbE123

Post by NeWbE123 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:51 pm

I do give egg shells. I also put calcium powder over their food when i provide it. I am only home enough to change the food out once a day. They lived in harmony until I introduced Aries my newest little PP then it’s those two that I’ve busted killing my Es. Could it be a dominance thing. It’s hard for me to wrap my head around due to mischievous(the killer) and Hercules (the killed) to fight or kill they lived in harmony for 3 months until I introduced the baby. It’s defiantly hard for me to wrap my head around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mischievous, vincent and newest baby Hercules

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed May 16, 2018 2:02 pm

If your crab just came up from molting it may still have traces of the scent lingering and that made it smell like a snack to other crabs.

Not a dominance thing or lack of proper food, just that the scent they put off when molting.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk