Naked Hermit Crab

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
argoandcliffthecrabs

Re: Naked Hermit Crab

Post by argoandcliffthecrabs » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:04 pm

Here is a picture of the cracked claw during a reshelling attempt.

http://imgur.com/FN5nRpw
Proud pet owner of 2 hermit crabs, 2 dogs, 1 betta fish, 2 hamsters, 2 guinea pigs, and 1 guppy (last one left of a guppy aquarium that lasted over ten years).

Topic author
argoandcliffthecrabs

Post by argoandcliffthecrabs » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:17 pm

Here’s a picture of the cracked claw that I got during a reshelling attempt. It may be hard to see, but it’s there. You might have to zoom in if you can.

http://imgur.com/FN5nRpw
Proud pet owner of 2 hermit crabs, 2 dogs, 1 betta fish, 2 hamsters, 2 guinea pigs, and 1 guppy (last one left of a guppy aquarium that lasted over ten years).

Topic author
argoandcliffthecrabs

Post by argoandcliffthecrabs » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:19 pm

Accidentally posted twice as the first time it didn’t show my post! My apologies!

Topic author
argoandcliffthecrabs

Post by argoandcliffthecrabs » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:01 pm

Oh no! A part of the exoskeleton where the crack in the claw is came off! Also, I think there is also a crack in his back leg! I think he may have obtained these injuries from climbing, as climbing for him usually ends in falling and he’s always been okay after but maybe he hit something when he fell? I hope he’s okay!!

http://imgur.com/2iySu4R
http://imgur.com/4r8sFYt

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:28 pm

I've never seen an exoskeleton crack or break just from falling inside the habitat.

Are other crabs attacking this one?

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:46 pm

What is underneath the crack? Is it soft and squishy, or hard?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
argoandcliffthecrabs

Post by argoandcliffthecrabs » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:27 pm

As far as I know, I don’t think he’s been in any serious fights. He’s also bigger than the other crab, but I don’t know if that means anything. Underneath the crack it is soft. There is a bit of a layer that’s harder but flimsy. Also near the chipped part where the crack continues I am able to push on it and move it. He also is refusing reshelling still.

I don’t think the exoskeleton cracking and chilling and the refusal to wear a shell are related, but maybe it’s possible they could be? I wouldn’t know why. I’ve never had any problems like either of these before (albeit, I’ve only kept hermit crabs for a year now).

I’m very concerned and very confused.

Topic author
argoandcliffthecrabs

Post by argoandcliffthecrabs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:44 pm

Unfortunately, Argo has passsd away. He was such a great hermit crab. He had an oddball personality and I loved that about him. He will be dearly missed. Rest In Peace, Argo.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:59 pm

I am so very sorry. You did all that you could. Once they start refusing a shell repeatedly it usually means a health issue that has progressed into full-body involvement, and there is usually no reversing that. I wish we could tell you why this happened, but there usually is no way of knowing. Something strange happened with his exo cracking like that, I'm not sure this could have been prevented.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:12 pm

I'm really sorry for your loss.

The one thing that I noticed is that you are not using the correct kind of salt. ZooMed Salt is not sufficient for hermit crabs. It lacks the essential trace minerals that hermit crabs need. You need marine salt for making a saltwater fish tank. A lot of us use products like Instant Ocean or Red Sea. You can purchase these products from most pet stores, fish stores or Amazon. These products are basically boxed salts that need to be mixed with dechlorinated water.

I would also recommend you bumping your minimum sand height to 6".

Best wishes!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:03 am

Wow, reading this post I was cheering you on, hoping he would reshell and be okay! I'm so sorry for your loss. You did the absolute best you could and I'm sure he had a great life. Prayers

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
argoandcliffthecrabs

Post by argoandcliffthecrabs » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:48 pm

Thank you all so very much.

I will be sure to get a better way of making the saltwater (Instant Ocean, Red Sea, etc.) and I will increase the substrate depth.

Again, thank you all so much for all of the help. I am truly grateful to have found this website and to be a part of it where I know I am getting correct information, as well as the best information. You were all so very helpful. God bless you all.