Naked crab

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Plasmoc

Naked crab

Post by Plasmoc » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:46 pm

Hi I have another post going but it’s gotten really long and it seemed like my crabbie Seewee was doing better I things took a bad turn today.

Last night I lit him back in the big tank. This morning he was naked so I helped him respell and put him back in iso for an hour. He switched shells again and seemed ok. I thought his shell had maybe got caught on the new water dish.

I just caught him naked again, in the pile of 9 shells I had down for him and he doesn’t seem to want to stay in a shell. I wound up giving him a dip in sw and fw and he’s back in a shell but looking like he wants to come out again.

Please help, I’m lost. Template is in the other thread, humidity is 92%, temp is 79 degrees so I don’t think he’s too hot?

The shells are a mix of some the right size, some a bit small, and some a bit big for him. They all should be about right for him though (bigger shells for my bigger crabs are higher up I specifically pulled these shells down for him).

Image Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Naked crab

Post by curlysister » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:06 pm

I would put him back into iso. Do you have any lighter shells? Maybe if he is low in energy, he might stay in a lighter shell.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:06 am

Those shells all look to be too large for him, unless it's the camera angle. The one he is wearing is an extremely heavy shell. I'd try to find him some smaller lighter choices. Green turbos are a great choice for a small guy like this, I've found them at Walmart in the craft section (by the vases) before.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:49 am

I think it’s camera angle, but some are a bit big for him. He shifted back into a green turbo, which is what he was originally in.

He’s spent the day hiding in his shell and staring into space sitting there. I’ll put him back into iso b

Food i’m offering right now is all healing foods - ground crab & lobster shells, crushed oyster shell, worm castings, honey, bee pollen, cuttle bone, and also green sand.

Should I continue the baths? Try something else?

I don’t have a Walmart near me but I’ll try ordering more on amazon. I’ll order a caliper too since I keep meaning to buy one and haven’t.

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:21 pm

So this little guy is staying in his shell now but still seems weak. I’m offering foods off the healing food list - cuttlebone, crushed oyster shell, bee pollen, worm castings, honey, crushed lobster & crab shell. I’m also offering millet & green sand.

He doesn’t seem much interested in food.

I’m definitely keeping him in iso longer, but any other foods I should be offering? Should I do a second round of the indicated baths?

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:15 am

Update if anyone’s interested.

He was back in the big tank and ding a bit better but after a second bout if nakedness he’s back in iso.

He’s staying in a shell, but I’m constantly finding him on his back while mostly tucked into the shell. When I flip him over in my hand he comes out more so I can see his face and just stares at me.

Iso is now inside the main tank, temp is about 76-79, humidity is 89-92%.

He’s not eating much and I’m trying to let him destress but feel the need to check him once a day because he gets stuck on his back so much.

Mom debating whether to continue with this more or start the medicated baths again.

He’s definitely a fighter.

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:16 am

I’m debating. Not mom lol. I’m the Mom

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:50 am

Plasmoc wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:16 am
I’m debating. Not mom lol. I’m the Mom Image

:lol: glad he's staying in his shell.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:16 pm

Sad update, I’m pretty sure SeeWee died today :( He’s was getting worse again, still in iso, and was weak but alive this morning. Tonight no movement, limp legs, and a distinct fairly strong fishy smell coming from him / his shell. Can smell set in this quickly?

I feel so bad, I tried everything I could think of to help him.