ALL THREE CRABS NOT NORMAL BEHAVIOR

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
kayo1895

ALL THREE CRABS NOT NORMAL BEHAVIOR

Post by kayo1895 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:08 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Ecoearth, 6'

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
80% humidity and between 73-80 degrees

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Two heating pads

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Both salt and fresh. Salt is from insta ocean and tetra aqua safe dechlorinator

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Variety of almonds, coconut shreds, peanut butter, dried mango, dried strawberries, lettuce, eggshell, etc

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
3 Ecuadorians I believe since August 2020

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
One has had a successful molt, and the other two I am worried about

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
15 gallon tank, glass lid

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
1 small, 1 medium, 1 large

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
Not unusual

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Spot cleaning here and there, nothing crazy

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
So in late September, my one crab squirt was buried behind a rock with his shell still visible. This was his favorite spot previously as well, but then he has not moved or surfaced to my knowledge since then. So it has been almost 4-5 months since I have not seen activity from Squirt, and I am worried he died in a molt. I assumed it has been a molt this whole time because one day I accidentally lifted the rock without realizing he was there and saw his body halfway out and a gray ashy look to him. I have not bothered him since.
And then about a week ago my other small crab Shelly I assumed went into a molt as well. I had lifted the water bowl to clean it and saw her burrowed underneath it. I have not seen her since as well, and she was always very active.
This then leads into my third large crab, Zorro, who did have a successful molt in September, I have not seen since Shelly went under either.
I am worried that Squirt may have passed, but do not want to lift the rock again if it is too early to do so, so any advice on that would be greatly appreciate. And for Zorro, since he was usually so active along with Shelly as well, could he have possibly gone into another molt, or is he just inactive since his buddy is not around at the moment?

CrabbyLover77

Re: ALL THREE CRABS NOT NORMAL BEHAVIOR

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:08 pm

Hi! I'll put my suggestions under your answers. Hope this helps! Image
kayo1895 wrote:Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Ecoearth, 6'

CL77- Ecuadorians are known for digging up molters, so the more substrate the better.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
80% humidity and between 73-80 degrees

CL77- If your crabs are def Ecuadorians, you'll want to shoot for keeping your temp at 80°F+. Anything lower might make them more inactive than normal. PP temps can be lower, 75°F+.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Two heating pads

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Both salt and fresh. Salt is from insta ocean and tetra aqua safe dechlorinator

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Variety of almonds, coconut shreds, peanut butter, dried mango, dried strawberries, lettuce, eggshell, etc

CL77- Do you also provide a constant source of protein?

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
3 Ecuadorians I believe since August 2020

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
One has had a successful molt, and the other two I am worried about

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
15 gallon tank, glass lid

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
1 small, 1 medium, 1 large

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

CL77- HCA recommends 3-5 shells per crab, so you'd want to have at least 9-15 shells available.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
Not unusual

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Spot cleaning here and there, nothing crazy

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
So in late September, my one crab squirt was buried behind a rock with his shell still visible. This was his favorite spot previously as well, but then he has not moved or surfaced to my knowledge since then. So it has been almost 4-5 months since I have not seen activity from Squirt, and I am worried he died in a molt. I assumed it has been a molt this whole time because one day I accidentally lifted the rock without realizing he was there and saw his body halfway out and a gray ashy look to him. I have not bothered him since.
And then about a week ago my other small crab Shelly I assumed went into a molt as well. I had lifted the water bowl to clean it and saw her burrowed underneath it. I have not seen her since as well, and she was always very active.
This then leads into my third large crab, Zorro, who did have a successful molt in September, I have not seen since Shelly went under either.
I am worried that Squirt may have passed, but do not want to lift the rock again if it is too early to do so, so any advice on that would be greatly appreciate. And for Zorro, since he was usually so active along with Shelly as well, could he have possibly gone into another molt, or is he just inactive since his buddy is not around at the moment?

CL77- If your crabs are E's, they will be more inactive at temps below 80°. It sounds like Shelly and Zorro could be molting. Have you tried gently smoothing out the sand on top to see if you can find any drag marks to and from the food and water? They may be coming up and night when you aren't watching.

As for Squirt, has there been, or is there any fishy smell coming from the tank? I think 5 months is a sufficient amount of time to have left him alone. At this point, you could gently lift the rock to see if he's still there. If he's not, you can't dig for him since you have other crabs under.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
kayo1895

Post by kayo1895 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:11 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:08 pm
Thank you for the feedback!

I will try to keep the temperature in the higher range and see if anything changes, the temperature never drops below 73 so hopefully that didn't cause any issues. And with regards to constant protein, I did forget to mention I have meal worms in there almost 90% of the time. For Squirt there is no fishy smell near it or in the tank in general, and the only visible change in movement or positioning was when the other crabs were crawling around and shifted the rock. And in general movement in the tank, I have noticed different patterns in the substrate every morning, so hopefully that means at least one is up and moving. Any more suggestions or advice would be great.

Topic author
kayo1895

Post by kayo1895 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:12 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:08 pm

And just another question while thinking about it. I am moving soon and will be taking them with me. My plan was to take the whole tank as is and transport it since I have molters. Any advice on that?

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:47 am

Since it's been months, I think you can check on Squirt behind the rock and see if he's still there and alive. Just don't dig down if he's not visible.
It sounds like you have movement, so at minimum, one crabby is up and moving.
When I moved last year, I also had molters. So my Mom and I moved my entire 20 gal tank as is to the new house about 15 mins away. I had 4 crabs total, but 1 died. I'm hoping it wasn't because I collapsed a tunnel moving the tank. I know other people have gently dug up their crabs, put them in separate small tupperware containers with moist towels, and transported them that way. The only thing with that is, you'd need to be prepared to isolate who ever was molting when you got to your new place. So I think it will be up to you how you want to do it, and if you'll have room for isolating any potential molting crabbies.

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav