Molting, Sick or Dying?

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Tamatoa88

Molting, Sick or Dying?

Post by Tamatoa88 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:36 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Sand/coconut fiber mixture about 4 inches deep.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? Yes. Located about halfway up the tank inside on the back wall. Temp usually 80-83. Humidity usually between 70-80%

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? Yes. Two Zoo Med aquarium heaters - one on either side outside the tank.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Zoo Med dechlorinator. Thrive salt water conditioner. Treated as recommended on each bottle. Changed completely every 3-4 days. More often if they mess it up.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? Thrive hermit crab food medley with a touch of thrive calcium supplement beneath it. Changed about every 4 days.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? 18 months. Purple pincher.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? Yes. Most recent about 3-4 weeks ago.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? 10 gallon aquarium. Hood light lid.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 2. one medium, one small.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? usually two for each

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? Not that I know of.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? Every 6-8 weeks. Full breakdown and reset

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? No.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? No.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? [/img]

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. He is normally very active, even in the day. About a month ago he and his sister came up from molting. He was active. She wasn't so much. She never usually is, though. About two weeks ago she went back down. I'm assuming she is molting again. About a week ago, he stopped being active. He now stays in one place in the tank all day - a spot between the log and the glass. His antennae don't move a whole lot. Last night he came up on the log for a bit, but that was it. He is usually hanging upside down from the lid, or climbing on one of the logs or something else fun and normal. I noticed he recently lost a good chunk of one of his large antennae. He has white spots on him that I think are just sand, but can't tell for sure. They seem to be in different place each time I check on him. But I don't see them moving at all when I watch him. There have been white food mites in their food before but I read those types of mites are harmless. His shell has seemed small for months. I have several same size and larger ones in there with him, but he won't change. Up until he stopped being active, he would empty the poop in his shell at night. So I wasn't worried about the shell too much. I feel like it looks like he has a patch of dry skin on his big pincher that didn't used to be there. Both water dishes are maybe 1/2 inch deep. As he has grown, it isn't very deep for him. However, his sister is still small, so I don't want to make it any deeper. I'm hoping that he is just molting above ground, but he just molted a month ago and has always burrowed for that before. I have pics ready to post, but can't see how I can post them. Sorry for the rambling. I'm just trying to anticipate questions before I get them.

Pumpkincrab

Re: Molting, Sick or Dying?

Post by Pumpkincrab » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:35 pm

Not sure.. I'll let others chime in. But I will recommend you add more substrate and shells. HCA recommends 3-5 shells per crab. And a full diet (proteins, calciums, fruits, veggies) should be fed.
Hope everything turns out okay.
Hi! Feel free to check out TheGourmetCrab here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGourmetCra ... ugg_market
Owner of 4 purple pincher hermit crabs in a 55g tank.

keeliaa

Post by keeliaa » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:59 pm

you can post pictures by downloading the Tapatalk app(it’s very easy) and i’m not sure but i’m sure others will have a good idea if you get some photos out. it will give a better idea than a description

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Tamatoa88

Post by Tamatoa88 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:17 am

Thanks for the comments this far. Attached are some pics. The fuzzy side view pic is him in the spot where he has been hanging out. The other two are from the when actually came out for a few minutes the other day. As his sister is burrowed at the moment, I didn’t want to disturb the substrate too much. So I just put a pile of substrate next to where he hangs out thinking he’d do with it what he wanted. He seems to have partially buried himself. not sure though. I can only see his shell. But no change otherwise. He hasn’t touched food, salt or fresh water since the original post. I’ve added a couple more shells.Image

Last edited by Tamatoa88 on Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Tamatoa88

Topic author
Tamatoa88

keeliaa

Post by keeliaa » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:55 am

in my opinion he doesn’t look like he would go into a molt. he is very hairy and doesn’t seem to be any white or cream coloring around his joints. if he is partially buried he could be molting or just destressing