did i cook my crab by accident?

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
OUCHiambeingshot

Post by OUCHiambeingshot » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:19 pm

One of my PPs is molting. he dug down in the bottom right side of the tank in a corner. at that time I was trying to get a steady temperature for them. The sand was freezing cold . i put a heating pad on the the side he was molting on. the tank chipped a little and now there is a ring of black sand and even some red too. did it get so hot that It deepfried him?! the pictures are rotated sideways. tilt your head to the left to get the idea

Teedeums

Re: did i cook my crab by accident?

Post by Teedeums » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:47 pm

Maybe next time get a less powerful heater...:(
(I don't think he made it)
5 PPs; Ghast, Eager, Boomer, Plato, and Indigo
2 Family Dogs; Lilly and Ginger

Have a very crabby day! =D

Topic author
OUCHiambeingshot

Post by OUCHiambeingshot » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:54 am

:/ I hope not. Do you know why the sand changed colors like that?

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:17 am

Heating pads are not meant to heat through thick material, which includes substrate. The density causes the heat to trap or something. After a while the heat just builds and causes a potential fire hazard. Depending on how long the heat was against the substrate, and how hot the area got, it is possible there was a situation of some sort.
The heat could have fed bacteria that was trapped down below, causing a bacterial bloom or something.
The heat could have overheated the crab and caused the crab to sweat or foam, which becane a rotting substance.
The crab might have dragged food down there that rotted and the heat encouraged the rotting, and the food produced slime that is leaking the red color.
The tank chipping could have let in air, and possibly bacteria, and got something to thrive down there, producing a black/red mass.
I would dig if i were you. There is a chance that you can save your crab, but there's also a chance it is quite a gruesome scene. Use disposable gloves, have stuff prepared! Please keep us updated of any findings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drakezilla

Post by Drakezilla » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:12 am

...for future reference, what kind of heating pad WAS that and how long did that take to happen?!

// just finished insulating tank for molter -
-:- -:- -:- / / / -:- -:- -:-
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;
{ 01 } PP; Cᴀᴘ ( 10 /13/15 ) **Looking for a new home in Tampa, Florida**

Topic author
OUCHiambeingshot

Post by OUCHiambeingshot » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:55 am

its been like this for a while actually. I didn't want to dig him up in case he was okay and molting. :/. Its an 8x12 Zilla heatmat.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:15 am

With a discoloration like that, even if he is ok, he might become not ok. But i'm a notorious crab digger upper, so dont mind me! Just go with your instincts and hope for the best! If it is food, hopefully your crab actually went somewhere else from that spot.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:16 am

One thing you can do is take a straw and drill down against the glass and see if a bad smell comes up. If it smells like a sewer its one thing, if it smells like stank fish its another. No smell= leave it alone til crab comes up.

Topic author
OUCHiambeingshot

Post by OUCHiambeingshot » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:41 am

Im not sure how long it took. maybe a week

Drakezilla

Post by Drakezilla » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:14 pm

Yours was directly on the substrate wasn't it? Hmmm, you could also try moving the tank off the stand enough to look up under the bottom. That's usually what I do if it's been several months. Just make sure someone is supporting the tank while you look!!
-:- -:- -:- / / / -:- -:- -:-
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;
{ 01 } PP; Cᴀᴘ ( 10 /13/15 ) **Looking for a new home in Tampa, Florida**

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:47 pm

With the possibility of mold/bacteria and a possible tank failure like collapse in the future or escape hole I'd either get a new tank or doing a deep clean and patching up the current crack. AFTER, of course, finding out what's up with your hermit first!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
-

Topic author
OUCHiambeingshot

Post by OUCHiambeingshot » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:38 pm

thankfully theres no crack in the glass.just a small chip in the corner. its a HUGE tank I wouldnt be able to lift it. I didn't keep it directly on the substrate, It was on the outside on the glass. I will check on the crab but i am a little scared of what I might find. How will I know if he's alive or dead? and what should I do if he is alive?

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:48 pm

Have an iso tank ready with both waters, honey and whatnot. Plus a dark towel to cover the tank. I used a huge spoon to lift out my sick hermit crabs to avoid the extra stress of my hands picking them up.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:55 am

If you're not sure whether hes alive or dead, treat him as alive but sick and proceed that way. First offer food by qtip and water by plastic bottle caps. You can just leave these real close, so that a very weak and scared crab can still reach them if he wants them. If he doesnt eat or drink then cover him up and leave him in darkness with ideal conditions and do not disturb. Maybe check on him in a week.
Other than that it should be pretty obvious if he's alive or dead. I hope he is alive and well.
The heat mat should always be used to heat the space above the substrate, and never the substrate itself. You don't need to heat the substrate because in nature the sand is cool under the surface. Crabs will surface for warmth and dig down to get cool.
You need to find out whats going on. Here is sonething for you to hope for: your crab is actually not in the spot, and the black sand is just a bacteria bloom. This means you dig up no crab, but rotten sand. You should just throw that sand away and replace it. Then leave the rest of the tank alone until your maybe molter comes back up

Topic author
OUCHiambeingshot

Post by OUCHiambeingshot » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:20 pm

thanks guys :) i dug down in that spot and He thankfully wasnt there. It's been nearly two months. He is pretty big though. With him in a green turbo shell he was a little smaller then a tennis ball(and more oval) Now all my crabs but one have dug down and it's pretty boring. Should I see if he is okay? I don't even know where he is