I can't handle it anymore!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I can't handle it anymore!

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:39 am

wodesorel wrote:Try the q-tips coated in honey and the rolled in something dry like crushed shrimp or shredded coconut. It really just depends on what you have on hand, think powdered and nutrition packed. The honey is a definite benefit, but it's also used for edible "glue" to hold everything else into place while he eats. Hold that up to his mouth, and if he's able to eat he will. I would not recommend smearing anything on him directly as that can lead to bacterial infections if he's unable to clean himself off. If he can't eat because he's too injured...
For some reason I always thought I seen my guys when cleaning themselves take the "dirt" off them and trying to eat it... Thats why I suggested trying to rub a tiny bit somewhere, so when he cleans himself he takes it off and eats it. But I do see your point to and realise that my method isn't very safe for the crab; not to mention the added labour it will take for him to clean himself...
What was I thinking?
:banghead:
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:45 am

You had the right idea Aussie! Smearing food on an animal in attempt to get them to eat is pretty standard. For anything that grooms themselves it's an easy way that is much less stressful than force feeding. The problem becomes if it's a mouth injury that is preventing them from eating, or the animal is too weak to groom. Then you end up with food that will rot quickly and harbor bacteria stuck on a part of their body, and the only way to get it off is washing which is even more stressful. My other worry is if there is damage to the face then having food stuck in an open wound is also not sanitary.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:45 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Problem, I'm way to nervous to open the iso this morning. He's not turned to me so I can see him. I'm too scared about what I may find :(
I'm also worried that he physically can't eat. He can hardly move anything. I've already said this but he's half covered in peeling exo. I haven't seen his mouth parts at all since I found him, but maybe once, and they didn't come out very far. So I'm worried that he literally can't eat :( I just need to open the iso and see how he's doing and get him some food and water.
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:51 am

If he does have a substantial amount of exo on him that's peeling off, it needs to be removed for him to have a chance at survival. If you can post pics, we can confirm for sure, because I've seen other keepers think it was peeling exo in the past but it turned out to be injuries instead.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:53 am

Please tell me you don't want me to peel it off... :| I'll try and get a picture.

hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:09 am

I think I read recently about someone removing exo from a crab whose exo got stuck.

If it is confirmed, just hold your breath and jump!

Topic author
hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:49 am

Wow I was not ready for that! I'll do what I have to though (anyone interested in coming over to nurse him with me :lol: )
Good news! He's still alive and I got him to eat some peanut butter with cuttle bone and he drank some water. He was a little hard to convince at first but the water got him going. I spent about 20 minutes and stopped when he seemed like he wanted to explore more than eat.
I was able to catch a few pictures, but they aren't really good
(It looks like sand on his eye but it isn't. I'm sure what exactly)

How often should I feed him? And for how long, until he doesn't want more food? Also should I offer him fresh and salt water when feeding him?

hermitcrab24

Post by hermitcrab24 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:11 pm

Oh my gosh!! I'm so sorry this happened!! Glad he is still alive and eating.
(sorry, I don't know the answers to your questions, just wanted to say I am sorry)

Best of Luck,
Bonnie

Topic author
hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:13 pm

I felt like I needed to feed him again. I tried a banana that I kinda mashed a little. Goodness, he attacked that thing :) Put him back and propped him in front of some food. Should I feed him again later or just let him be? I don't want to stress him too much.
Also I got a good look at his eye. I don't think it's exo that's covering his eye, I think his eye has been badly injured. From the looks of it I think he may be blind in that eye :(

72mm

Post by 72mm » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:28 pm

I don't know about hermits specifically, but isn't him wanting to eat at all a very good sign? Animals that given up on life often stops eating.

Hope it works out for you.

rml6f4

Post by rml6f4 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:44 pm

I haven't been doing this crabbing thing long... But I would assume feed him as much as you can, especially since he seemed so hungry with the banana. Maybe try every couple hours or so and increase or decrease feedings based on whether he seems hungry or not. Maybe he's building up his energy to molt? I would also assume he needs both fresh and salt water right now. I hope someone more experienced gives some advice though! Like I said I'm kind of a newbie...

Poor thing :( it breaks my heart. I hope he gets a crab miracle and pulls through.

Topic author
hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:06 pm

Thanks guys. I think I may feed him again around 8 or 9 then go off how much eats for when I should feed him tomorrow.
It's so sad that he went from this
to this, is less than a month :(
I even was thinking the Es might do this. It feels like it's all my fault :(

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:36 pm

Aww don't blame yourself. They're wild animals! We can only do our best and hope for good luck. Sending you good vibes!

Crabbers unite!!!

gotta-crab-em-all

Post by gotta-crab-em-all » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:19 pm

The one thing that stuck out to me on your questionaire was the food. It sounds like you aren't offering a wide variety of proteins and that can lead to cannibalization (but Es are prone to being cannibalistic just because they can). I'm not saying this is your fault! They're wild animals and they operate the way nature tells them to. I would add cooked unseasoned meats and dried insects to their diet, along with crustacean meat like shrimp. If I remember correctly, there's something in crustacean meat that they need to survive and they will eat each other to get it. I think I read something like that on a thread here at the HCA, but I don't remember & don't have time to look at the moment.

If you feel that you need to rehome the Es, do what you have to do. One of my Es killed two PPs and attacked PPs and Es alike, sometimes resulting in missing limbs, and eventually I rehomed the friendly Es and kept the killer in iso so he didn't kill any more crabs. I haven't had any aggression problems since, but the killer E did die a few months later after a power outage caused him to get too cold for too long. I'm sticking to PPs and am happy with that decision.

Either way, I'm soooo sorry this has happened and I can tell you, I know what you're going through. I hope you have better luck than I did! You're already having better results than me, so your little guy might pull through!
Shuckle (f), Clauncher (f), Omanyte (f), Weedle (f), Ralts (f) : 55gal Crabitat

Topic author
hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:53 am

*sigh* So far the only thing I can get him to eat is banana! He won't take honey, or pineapple :( Any other ideas what I should feed him. I won't trust a crab molting that's only been fed on banana. Should I try the cuttle bone on the banana?
He's also pretty grumpy when it comes to water, he doesn't drink any, I just hold him there, he doesn't want any :?