Molting crab in uncovered hole!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
hermieluv1

Molting crab in uncovered hole!

Post by hermieluv1 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:20 am

I was just straightening/cleaning the 55, mainly filling in the daily holes. I was about to smooth sand into a hole and saw movement! There is a soft crab there! I wonder if someone dug down to him. Should I bring him out and I so or what? I have 4 New E's in there. I put a hide over the hole with the entrance blocked. He is mostly buried...I can just see a small part of his one soft claw. Can he breath without a cave? Should I uncover him enough so he can breath and just leave the hut over him?

Thanks!

CallaLily

Re: Molting crab in uncovered hole!

Post by CallaLily » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:22 am

I'm having trouble picturing what you're describing. Is the crab just sitting in an open tunnel or are you just seeing a part of him poke out from the substrate? Does his tunnel seem collapsed or is he digging out?

Topic author
hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:48 am

I can see a tip of a claw, and what I think is his BP. I had touched it and it is soft. He did move his claw so is alive. But no cave. Totally surrounded by sub. There was a tunnel dug down to where he is, as if someone was digging a normal hole and ran into him. And thankfully didn't eat him.

Topic author
hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:56 am

Had a bad feeling and glad I checked on him. He was naked and trying to dig out! Got him iso'd and partially in shell. Should I put sub in...moss? Food and water? He appears to be mid molt.

Topic author
hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:03 am

He is missing legs...think he was attacked. No shell, no exo. Don't think he will make it. Seems very weak. I put honey in with him but doesn't look good.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:31 am

Good that you went with your gut! Since he's so weak, I would just put moss in the ISO. Both fresh and salt water. High energy foods like sweet fruit, honey, peanut butter, bee pollen, etc. plus calcium and protein sources. All in easy reach. I hope he pulls through. :grouphug:

Sydthesquid345

Post by Sydthesquid345 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:39 am

Try digging a mimic cave for him since he might not be able to dig as well with missing limbs. Dig a huge creator, place a water bowl in, put some honey on a q-tip down there and it would be great to add some cuddle bone for extra calcium since he doesn't have his exo to eat. Also add some extra shells for him. Lastly just add a lid over him to make it dark. A pot lid would work fine. Then all you can do is wait and hope for the best! GOOD LUCK!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:49 am

Thanks, guys. I put some sub and moss in a small plastic tub that has a lid with holes in it. I peeked to make sure he was in the shell, since he had tried to fight me going into it, and it looks like he is retracted into it, since all I can see are legs down inside. That is a relief, since that was my first streaker.

I have a lid with honey in it but will do the qtip thing, because he is so small and weak. His shell, which is too big and heavy for his weak little body, is facing with the opening down. Should I try to tilt it a bit so he can come out if he wants to eat?

My nerves are shot and I am not only worried about him, but other Myers. I have about 7 down.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:49 am

Syd's got the right idea. Put him in a pothole 3x his size, covered by a lid. Offer honey, pb and powdered calcium on qtip. Additionally, offer some SW to drink in a bottlecap, which might help harden the poor guy. Darkness, gentleness, and peace. GOOD LUCK! You can do it!

Crabbers unite!!!

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:48 pm

Glad he's staying reshelled! If you haven't already, a carefully placed hide can mimic a cave, providing privacy and darkness. Other than food and water changes, try not to disturb him. Good luck!

Topic author
hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:03 am

He still seems to be alive and if not mistaken, I would say he had JUST molted his eco when this happened. He is very white with just a little pink. He reminds me of a newborn critter, with undeveloped body parts.

He has 3 legs. His feeding claw and BP are gone. He had scooted his legs down towards the opening a couple of times but I don't think he is in eating mode.

I will just keep him in iso with food and water and see what happens.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:31 am

Since he's missing both claws I would crush cuttlebone and dried shrimp/crickets, then roll a honey coated qtip in them. Placed right in front of him it should make for easier eating.

Topic author
hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:38 am

Thanks, CAlla, I will do that. I have a qtip with honey rolled in fine cuttle bone, and I know I put it right beside the shell opening, and this morning, it was back away from him,. So he is either eating it, or shoving it away!

I will NEVER forget the look in those tiny eyes when he was trying to claw his way out of the sand. So desperate, so determined to live. I hope he makes it. If ever a crab deserved to live, this is it.

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:57 pm

I've read that keeping him with his exo, if you can find it without digging up other molters, is the best thing. To regain strength he needs all his exo's nutrients just like in a healthy undisturbed molt. If you do find his exo then make sure he eats it, if he doesn't make his exo look like a gift he can't refuse with honey and cuttlebone. Agreed, q-tip is a great idea and moss instead of sand/EE is more comforting for him since they sometimes sit in it for days on end lol! Always have salt water and fresh water available to him and any extra food that could be good for their recovery like powdered bee pollen or powdered freeze dried insects. Good luck!

Hermit mommy of 10 PP babies: Octavius Flemming, Poseidon, Junior, Matty Pumpkin, Turbo, Aries, Kaylee Frye, Pepper, Flower and Adrian Shephard.
-

Topic author
hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:47 am

I didn't find any exo. I am sure that whoever attacked her ate it. So I roll the honey qtip in cuttle bone.

Good news this morning! She hadn't come out when I was putting food or water in. She was completely white all over.. This morning I decided to take a closer look to see if there was more damage than I originally thought. So I got my magnifying glass (she is very small), and she came out! Just enough so I could see her eyes! How sweet is that!

I thought she had been out in her container because the qtips were moved when I got home from work. Now I know she is eating! And she is beginning to get some color! Her antenna are now brownish, one feeding appendage is pink, and I see some very light purple on her 3 claws.

I will try to get pics tonight. I have one of her I side her shell already.

My father asked me how I know it is a she. I told him only a woman could survive an attack like that and fight her way to freedom! Now I need a suitable name for her!