Molting crab in uncovered hole!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

stevenc

Re: Molting crab in uncovered hole!

Post by stevenc » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:53 am

Does anyone know what happened?
Naked crab in substrate and shell is tossed somewhere else.
I am also encountering this.

Topic author
hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:32 am

This is definitely a case of an attack by another crab. It happens occasionally. The active crab(s) go digging, knowing they might find a molter (in other words, a tasty snack), and once they do, they rip it from it's shell, which results in missing legs, eat it's exo if it is still there, and steal the shell. Sometimes the shell is left behind.

A lot of times, these crabs don't make it to the surface, and all you will find is an empty shell and pieces of crab strewn around. Since this is my first (that I have found alive), I am making it a point to check the holes that are dug, as much as possible. Sometimes they are just too deep, and I don't want to go digging too much for fear of disturbing an undisturbed molter.

I was lucky (actually the crab I found was very lucky) that I noticed the tip of her claw move, otherwise, I would have filled in the hole as I had several before I got to that one. If you read my original post, I had figured that she had dug the hole and was preparing to molt or just hanging out, but I got a bad feeling, and the one part of her leg that was visible was soft to the touch. So I removed the hide that I had put over the hole, and there she was, with only 3 legs, digging her way to the surface! What strength of character that takes!

Please read my post and that of Wodesorel (see my recent post about locating a thread about attacked molter care) if you have one of these situations. Their care is specific and important. Maybe start your own post so we can help if needed. Good luck to you and your crab.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:41 am

So glad to hear she's eating!

Topic author
hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:39 am

Thanks, Calla! I was SO surprised when she popped out at me last night, especially under the magnifying glass!

stevenc

Post by stevenc » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:32 am

Thanks for your detailed reply.
I cannot find the thread on attacked molter care which you mentioned. You have the link to it?
I hope your crab is recovering well

Topic author
hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:31 am

viewtopic.php?t=82507

This is it! And mine is still eating and drinking sand gel limbs are forming!

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:54 am

I loved that thread I read it and coveted the knowledge from it.

Crabbers unite!!!