New hermit crab seems to be dying

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
cHorse

New hermit crab seems to be dying

Post by cHorse » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:10 am

Hi!

So, I got 4 PP:s three days ago. 3 small and one tiny. 2 of them seems to be doing very well, and two of them not so...
I'm 98% sure the tiny one died the night we got them, but I'm not taking it out until I smell anything.

The other one seemed quite healthy first, it walked around a bit and decided to rest under a stone cave. Nothing strange with that I though. Until one day later, when he was lying in the same spot, but upside down because another crab had pushed him. He also had his legs out of the shell the whole second day, and did'nt really react when I sprayed the terrarium and fixed the food.

I decided to check on him, and he was very sluggish/lethargic. He tried to pull himself in, but was'nt able to. I put him in a coco hut with some food, hoping he would get better. Now on the third day he still has'nt eaten anything, and he dropped his beautiful BP (what to do with it? throw it away?) :( I tried feeding him some peanut butter and honey, but he was not interested. Now he's in totally dark under a coco hut. I though he would enjoy the dark rather than light right now, was that the right thing to do?

I'm guessing it's PPS and I can't do much about it, but I want to make sure my onditions are right, and I'm happy to receive advice. Thank you :)

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
playsand and a bit of coco fiber. 8-10 inches deep.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes. I move it around a bit. Right now it's in a corner away from the lamps and reading 77F and 87%. I feel like it's a bit cool in the night (75 is the lowest it's been at night), the UTH does'nt warm it as much as I would like. In the day it's between 80-85 depending on places in the tank.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
I have a UTH on the side of the terrarium, and also fluorescent aquarium lights which are heating quite well. I'm planning on changing them to UV-lights in a while.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fresh and salt. Biotopol conditioner and instant ocean salt. They have not been interested in the water yet.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
In the two nights I've had them I've been feeding peanut butter, honey, crushed cuttlebone/egg shell, dried crickets, dried tulip flowers, chicken, fresh coco nut, squash, cucumber and blueberrys. I think that was all lol

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
I'm on the third day with them and it's PP:s

7. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
A 45 gallon fish tank with a plastic lid. I keep it a bit open on a side to let fresh air in.

8. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
Im not very good with the sizes yet, but I think 3 small and one tiny. Though the tiny one is probably dead :(

9. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
Well, around 15 now I think? Most of them are a good size for them.

10. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
Nope.

11. How often do you clean the tank and how?
I have'nt really had any time for cleaning the tank in these two days ;) I spotclean food and poop and i guess I'll deep clean when I feel it's in need.

12. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
Nope.

13. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
Well, everything I guess :P

14. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
Nah, not really.

15. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
Read the top :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 PP: Paras(♀)
3 Ruggies: Ruby, Donatello (♀), Mogis (♂)
3 Violas: Splinter, Luke, Luna (♂)

hermieluv1

Re: New hermit crab seems to be dying

Post by hermieluv1 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:46 am

Your conditions sounds good. It is most likely pps and there isn't a whole lot you can do. Once they start dropping limbs, they are pretty much done. I have tried both leaving them alone and trying to nurse them through but they never make it.

I am sorry you have to go through this, but if you are in this for any length of time, you might as well get used to it.

If you can iso him from the others, it will prevent him from being a snack for the others, if they seem like they are prowling around or bothering him. It happened to me, and it isn't a nice thing to experience, and his last days should be peaceful, in my mind.

Topic author
cHorse

Post by cHorse » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:00 am

hermieluv1 wrote:Your conditions sounds good. It is most likely pps and there isn't a whole lot you can do. Once they start dropping limbs, they are pretty much done. I have tried both leaving them alone and trying to nurse them through but they never make it.

I am sorry you have to go through this, but if you are in this for any length of time, you might as well get used to it.

If you can iso him from the others, it will prevent him from being a snack for the others, if they seem like they are prowling around or bothering him. It happened to me, and it isn't a nice thing to experience, and his last days should be peaceful, in my mind.
Thank you :) That's what I thought... I knew it's common with PPS before I got them, but it's still so frustrating :( I put a coco hut over him, and the other two are quite busy digging. If they show any interest I'll ISO him, but right now I don't think he will be bothered.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clypeatus

Post by Clypeatus » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:36 am

I think it is Post Purchase Syndrome/Stress (PPS). It is when a hermit crab goes from being in a bad condition to a good one in a short amount of time. Their body can't handle that. So their body starts shutting down. I have lost four crabs from post purchase syndrome and don't want to loose another.

Here is some more information:
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/Po ... ndrome.doc
http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 67&t=92531
http://naturallycrabby.com/home////blog ... it-crabs-p
http://naturallycrabby.com/home////blog ... the-impact

Hope that helps.
Last edited by Clypeatus on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have five hermit crabs: three Purple Pinchers , one Ecuadorians, and one unknown living in a 20 gallon crabitat.

Crabbing since spring of 2011.

Topic author
cHorse

Post by cHorse » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:54 am

Clypeatus wrote:I think it is Post Purchase Syndrome/Stress (PPS). It is when a hermit crab goes from being in a bad condition to a good one in a short amount of time. Their body can't handle that. So their body starts shutting down. I have lost four crabs from post purchase syndrome and don't want to loose another.

Here is some more information:
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/Po ... ndrome.doc
http://naturallycrabby.com/home////blog ... it-crabs-p
http://naturallycrabby.com/home////blog ... the-impact

Hope that helps.
Thank you, that's what I thought...

Sadly Jeff passed away last night. I feel like I'm a bit unlucky that two of the four new crabs passed away within 3 days, even if PPs is common :(

I'm glad that we still got Obsidian and Henke though, and they seem to be quite happy for now :)

Clypeatus

Post by Clypeatus » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:17 pm

Did you see the conditions from the petstore that you got him in?
I have five hermit crabs: three Purple Pinchers , one Ecuadorians, and one unknown living in a 20 gallon crabitat.

Crabbing since spring of 2011.

Topic author
cHorse

Post by cHorse » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:10 pm

I did not, I bought them at a reptile fair so I have no idea about the stores condition :/ they could have arrived at the store just before I guess.
They had lost some leg tips but looked healthy and colorful otherwise.