PARALYSED HERMIT CRAB?

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Dom :)

Re: PARALYSED HERMIT CRAB?

Post by Dom :) » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:28 am

KellyCrabbieLove wrote:It isn't that everyone is ignoring this post. Many of us don't know and even the most knowledgeable members and mods do have outside lives. This is not a paying job, it is 100% voluntary and the attitude doesn't help your situation or the fact that as people our lives are not dictated to us by the internet.

I wish I had an answer for you as to what is going on, but I don't. With everything I have learned in the past 10 months I know that crabs will not change shells until they are ready. I have not experienced a paralyzed crab except during a suface molt. If your little guy isn't surface molting this is the end of my "why is this happening" knowledge. The only thing I can think of is to boost his energy by hand feeding him honey on a q-tip. It is good for that. Try rolling it in crushed cuttlebone or something similar.

Thanks for the advice.
Just the basic 10 gallon set up with 2 crabs, plus a 55 gallon at my dad's.

Topic author

Post by Dom :) » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:28 am

KellyCrabbieLove wrote:It isn't that everyone is ignoring this post. Many of us don't know and even the most knowledgeable members and mods do have outside lives. This is not a paying job, it is 100% voluntary and the attitude doesn't help your situation or the fact that as people our lives are not dictated to us by the internet.

I wish I had an answer for you as to what is going on, but I don't. With everything I have learned in the past 10 months I know that crabs will not change shells until they are ready. I have not experienced a paralyzed crab except during a suface molt. If your little guy isn't surface molting this is the end of my "why is this happening" knowledge. The only thing I can think of is to boost his energy by hand feeding him honey on a q-tip. It is good for that. Try rolling it in crushed cuttlebone or something similar.
Thanks for the advice

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:50 pm

I'm sorry I don't have any more to add. I still can't see the pics for some reason, probably because of my phone. I don't have any experience with stuck crabs other then hearing my sister's experience and none with crabs that can't move (maybe read over the threads about crabs that lost all or most of their limbs for care ideas). It looks like Soilentgringa helped go over your conditions and gave you some good advice. If the crab really can not move around, place easy to eat, high energy foods right in front of him. You'll probably have to help him to the water a few times a day too - first saltwater, then freshwater - again if he really can't move himself. Keep shells nearby and you should probably isolate him as well. I really hope he pulls through and I'm sorry I'm not more help.

Topic author

Post by Dom :) » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:09 pm

Moo died today, Thank you all for his fault ;(

Topic author

Post by Dom :) » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:10 pm

Dominic Consiglio wrote:Moo died today, Thank you all for his fault ;(
The help I mean

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:44 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. I wish we could have had more answers for you.

DaTrininator

Post by DaTrininator » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:52 pm

I would say he is dying or already dead, but I think you should isolate him for a few days and see if he smells like dead crab.
10 Crabs: Herman, Lily, Blue, Andy, Pablo, Schlanpuffa, Zoidberg, Edgar, Ginger, Wasabi

DaTrininator

Post by DaTrininator » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:53 pm

Dominic Consiglio wrote:Moo died today, Thank you all for his fault ;(
It is terrible when a crab dies.... Well.. He is in crab heaven now.
10 Crabs: Herman, Lily, Blue, Andy, Pablo, Schlanpuffa, Zoidberg, Edgar, Ginger, Wasabi

Lburns

Post by Lburns » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:48 am

Sorry for your loss! *hugs*
4 PPs. Crabbing since Sept. 2014. Batman - Found as a stray (holy crab!) (2 molts). Killer Croc (1 molt). Man-Bat (1 molt). Lex Luthor (1 molt).
RIP Robin (did not survive 1st molt).