I'm trying to figure out the timeline - you've had him two weeks, and you say he's molted twice? It's almost impossible for a crab to molt that many times in two weeks, since one full molt cycle usually takes a month or more. Molting involves digging into the substrate completely, shedding their old skin, eating it, and then coming back up. Aside from his color - which could be from a moist and humid environment, were there any signs he molted? Shed exoskeleton, sharp black toes?
This is the help template - it has everything we need to know to figure out what might have happened! http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 27&t=46102
It must've been a wrong thing if I said twice, but he did dig down for his first week and his claws were pointy like but no exoskeleton, but I can't actually even tell when a crabs molted even when I'm told. I also assumed because he was a lot bigger when he came up.
Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions by coping and pasting this list into a New Topic. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. Thanks!
1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Eco earth 5" 3X the size of my largest crab.
2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
No but I am getting one, I mist the tank twice a day beside it's only ten G and it feels always warm.
3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Bottled water and I'm picking up a salt water dish and Instant Ocean when I go the the let store today or tommorow, because I know PP don't need it as bad.
5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Only fruits and veggies never commercial food. Sometimes birch leaves and meal worms.
6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
Two weeks Pp
7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
I think it molted and like four days ago.
8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
TenG mesh lid
9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
Two, one about the size of five quarters anotjer two quarters
10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Barley, take out the substrate and wipe down the tank with salt and fresh water
13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.