Tiny crab not in shell

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Not2crabby

Tiny crab not in shell

Post by Not2crabby » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:34 am

My very teeny tiny E. Crab is not in its shell, I cannot find it surface level throughout the crabitat. I'm nervous it was eaten by my Much lager PP. or is it possible it's molting naked? Help. Need some answers!

CallaLily

Re: Tiny crab not in shell

Post by CallaLily » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:13 am

Are you sure the crab didn't change shells before digging down?

Topic author
Not2crabby

Post by Not2crabby » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:16 am

update:
It's 6:12 am, my tiny E has been found. She dug herself a cave like area around her naked shell less self. Since she is so so small, she is in ISO, with 5 other tiny shells to choose from. Water and food, expect the shells I have seem a tab too big, I'm worried I can't help her, finding new shells for her is hard she's very small at this point. She extremely white. Not sure if that's normal for a naked crab body. I'll check on her in an hour. I bathed her gently, she's so sweet I hope she can survive this. I made her ISO dark hopefully she can do what she needs to do to make it thru this. Any suggestions?

fantasybookworm

Post by fantasybookworm » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:09 am

Not2crabby, where are you located (state in the US? Or elsewhere?)? What is the opening size for the shells you have & what she needs? I have a handful of tiny shells that I don't want to crush for calcium source because they're usable for crabbies, but too small for my guys. I can send them to you for the price of shipping if they're suitable for your little one, if she can make it through this! Keeping fingers crossed for her.

Topic author
Not2crabby

Post by Not2crabby » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:31 pm

Im in San Ramon California, feel free to message me. I'll send pictures of the shell and measure it. I know thank you this is so sad

Topic author
Not2crabby

Post by Not2crabby » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:43 pm

She's smart, she put half her body in the water dish to not dry out, I know this sounds odd but I'm not sure she knows what to do, maybe instinct doesn't take over when their frightened or sick even? I wish one of my other crabs could just communicate and be like hey just find a shell you'll be fine. This is making me such a nervous wreck, I'm calm I'm just upset. Is there any way I can gently force her in? Is that even possible? I don't want to hurt her in any way. I would post photos but this seems a little graphic. :(!

fantasybookworm

Post by fantasybookworm » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:15 pm

I'm not an expert, but people have mentioned that if a crab won't re-shell on their own, you should make sure the crab & a slightly too-big shell are both clean, then gently try to slide their abdomen into the too-big shell, and see if they'll pull themselves the rest of the way in.

Gonna go send you a PM now to get shell measurements. :)

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:48 pm

You can try the cup method to get her reshelled: rinse one or two shells, her size or a little larger, and put them in a cup or small bowl with the naked crab. This is usually a successful practice as the crab has nowhere to go and nothing to do but focus on the shell(s). Be sure that the crab can't climb out of the container or it defeats the purpose.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
Not2crabby

Post by Not2crabby » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:14 pm

I'm HAPPY to announce the tiny cup idea worked! She is now successfully back into her shell! Thank you to everyone who helped today. You saved her precious life

fantasybookworm

Post by fantasybookworm » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:10 am

I'm so glad to hear that!! :D I hope she improves quickly now.